• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns after J Pouch???

I had a colectomy in Feb 2014 and had my whole colon removed because my ulcerative colitis was in horrible shape. I was told that I could have a surgery that wouldreconnect my small intestine so I wouldn't have to live forever with a ileostomy bag. A week before my J pouch surgery, the surgeon said I should NOT have it because I most likely would get Crohns disease.

Is this common? Now I'm seriously considering not having the follow up surgery.

nogutsnoglory

It's not uncommon for people to first be diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and then they realize it was a misdiagnosis and is actually crohns.

What your surgeon says is confusing. If you truly have colitis, you won't suddenly get crohns due to a j-pouch but if they aren't sure and suspect you may have crohns already than yes we aren't candidates for that surgery.

Thank You Nogu. My tissue samples from my 1st surgery detected no Crohns. That is why I was thrown off when the surgeon said I could still get it.