• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns an d cholestyramine

Hi Everybody, I have just joined the forum. I was diagnosed with crohns 53yrs ago during which I have undergone two bowel resections and several other operations. Around 17 yrs ago my GP referred me to our local hospital where they had a new clinic dealing with IBD. The consultant put me on B12 injections every three months which I am still on today. He also put me on cholestyramine for malabsorbsion. It this treatment that I wish to discuss with the forum. Around five months after taking the cholestyramine I developed lower backache just beneath my ribcage which then radiates up the ribcage.
which I still suffer with today and it is pulling me down. I looked at the various side effects in the leaflet that came with this medication but there was nothing referring to my problems. I recently started searching the net to see if I could find anything and I came across a discussion on cholestyramine and it's side effects. and there was one comment there that referred to "Muscluloskeltal" as I side effect of taking Cholestyramine. which included backache, but it only registered 1% of people suffered with this side effect. I would like to ask members of the forum if any of you have experienced this problem. I have tried coming off the cholestyramine to see if it makes any difference but I quickly found out that I could not do with out it. Thank you.

scottsma

Hello and welcome.I don't have any experience of your problem, but I do know there are many on the forum who suffer with malabsorbtion, so I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.I just wanted to say hello and I hope you get help soon.