• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and ADHD

Hi guys, its been a while, when it rains it pours...oldest daughter was in bad car accident, she's doing better. Then while researching food allergies to see if they could play into Marilena's Crohn's or ADHD, I had an epiphany that my 7 year old must have a food allergy (I think for years and I've been too obtuse to notice)...waiting on blood work for her and Marilena.

Anyway, we've been in a steroid nightmare, which has compounded ADHD symptoms...she hasn't been on meds since before dx of Crohn's and I'm reluctant to put her back on. I've been researching homeopathic routes (Attend and Extress) and wondering if anybody else has experience with Crohn's and ADHD? Incidentally, I've read a few articles about IBD's being linked with ADHD.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Jamie, sorry to hear about your oldest. Hope she's ok! How much longer is Marilena to take steroids. Is it pred? EJ was quite a handful during his taper but quickly went back to normal after. I would imagine a child with ADHD to begin with would really climb the walls on that stuff. I agree with you though, as many meds as a crohns kid must take, I'd look for any alternative to more meds. No experience here but good to hear from you!!

I would try some Magnesium Citrate. Many people are deficient in Mg and not that many are deficient in Calcium. Since he is already taking a Calcium supplement, adding Mg will balance things out. It is not good to have an excess of Calcium, and Mg needs to be present, to properly make use of it.

Do not take Calcium, and Magnesium at the same time. They have to be taken separately, for the body to use them as it should.

Magnesium has been shown to help with ADHD in some studies. You can also go to Google Scholar and type in "Magnesium ADHD" and find plenty of information.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15388

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Magnesium-Affects-ADHD&id=1205454

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9368235

It also is a no brainer since it also decreases the risk of Cancer and is almost impossible to over dose on it. Mg is one mineral you do not want to be lacking. It is too important for all of our body functions.

Dan

One other thing I should mention is that the brain uses cholesterol to function, and uses a lot of it. People with Crohn's generally do not absorb fats very well. It is important to supply the brain with enough fats to work properly.

Coconut Oil contains medium chain fats that are easily absorbed. it also happens to be one of the most healthy oils to cook with or use instead of unstable vegetable oils.

I would replace regular cooking oil with Coconut Oil to make sure he is getting enough fats to give the brain what it needs to function as it should.

Between the Coconut Oil and the addition of a Magnesium Citrate suplement, i think you will see a change in a few weeks. If not, no harm done.

Dan

Sorry, I referred to your daughter as he. Since I can't edit my post here for some odd reason, just replace my he, with she.

Dan

Thank you for the warm welcome.

That is what I always liked about this forum, is the friendly people. You would think people that suffer a lot, as many of you do, would be an ornery lot. A great testament of character.

I pop in now and then, when I have some time. What a busy place nowadays!

Dan

thanks guys. I'm going to check out the magnesium. Marilena is now off of her pred, but her GI said to keep taking calcium, which seemed odd to me since we're off the pred. Looks like I have a lot of research to do:)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Funny thing about the magnesium citrate...that was part of EJ's scope prep!! 8 ozs. of that stuff is like pouring water through a pipe. In large quantities, it's a powerful laxative, so I wonder how much one could take as a supplement.