• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and Cancer

Hello,

I know we have read that crohns increases the chances of bowel cancer, but I cant seem to find any decent statistics.

Any of you guys developed cancer as a result of crohns? or know anyone who has?what are the chances?

Anyone got any stats and figures?

I have. I developed Stage 1 colon cancer in the sigmoid as well as anal area. My doctor believes the cancer developement was the direct result of two factors: 1) unchecked inflammation led to the growths (meds weren't working, and I was too scared to move up to Remicade, Methotrexate) and 2) The type of Crohn's I have makes me more susceptable.

He removed the cancer and then gave me four rounds of medium strength chemo-pills, infusions, and shots (Arava, Methotrexate). Not horrible, but not a cake-walk. I tested cancer-free 6 months later, and it's been two years. I just had another colonoscopy which found a polyp in the same area, but thank God is was benign.

I don't have any statistics; sorry. I do remember the doctor saying your risk goes up significantly after you've been diagnosed 20 years; mine was at 17 years after diagnosis. Quite honestly he said alot of things the day he told me but after the word Cancer my brain shut down for about 4 days afterward. I really wished I had another person with me on that visit.

CCFA might have statistics, and more info. Hope this helps!

I did not have cancer but I had Dysplasia in my colon. Dysplasia mean there are pre- cancerous changes in the cells of the colon. There are three grades, high, low, and indeterminate (which means something is funky, but they are not really sure).

I ended up showing high grade on a chromoendoscopy (colonoscopy where they use dye). Some docs believe that if you have high, you might already have cancer cells.

So they removed the colon, and now that worry is gone. Like Jeannette, I had unchecked inflamation for many years.

Silvermoon

I do not have stats either, but as MountainGem and CDDad said, long periods of unchecked/uncontrolled inflammation increase the chances, as well as how long you have had the disease....

Chances also increase once you start any of the anti-TNF meds (Remicade, Humira, etc) as their purpose is to block the bodies natural cancer cell fighting abilities.....

As for whether or not it was related to CD, we recently lost a forum member to cancer ( http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=13405 ) and quite a few others have had pre-cancerous cells found in the intestines....

That being said, if caught early enough, there is a really good chance of beating colon cancer, adn that is why it is SO important to have regular tests (ie colonoscopies) done on a regular basis to catch these things as early as possible. :)

Hopefully someone else can answer more of your questions.....

Hi, I got this from the following site which is pretty good, cheers

http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/irritable-bowel-syndrome-000103_4-145_2.html

Colorectal Cancers. Patients with inflammatory bowel disease have a slightly higher risk for colorectal cancer. The risk is greater for patients with severe ulcerative colitis than for those with Crohn’s disease. Patients with Crohn’s disease do have a 40-fold increased risk for small bowel cancer. (However, small bowel cancer is a very rare type of cancer.) The risk increases with the severity of the condition and the length of time the patient has had Crohn’s. [For more information, see In-Depth Report #55: Colon and rectal cancers.]

Colorectal Cancers. Patients with UC have a higher than normal risk for cancers of the colon and rectum. About 5 – 8% of patients with ulcerative colitis will develop colorectal cancer within 20 years of their UC diagnosis. The risk of colorectal cancer increases with the duration and severity of the ulcerative colitis condition. The presence of inflammatory polyps (pseudopolyps) more than doubles the risk. Some research suggests that anti-inflammatory drugs, such as 5-ASA, may help reduce the risk of cancer. Doctors also advise that patients with ulcerative colitis receive regular (every 1 – 3 years) colonoscopy exams to help screen for cancer. According to a 2006 study, patients with ulcerative colitis who are diagnosed with colorectal cancer have a worse prognosis, and poorer survival, than those without ulcerative colitis. [For more information, see In-Depth Report #55: Colon and rectal cancers.]