• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and careers

Look I was bored ok.....

Reading through the 'sticky' What career / job do you have (at the top) I counted through the last 50 posts (sad but true) before I got bored -

27 people work within nursing / education / caring

23 in other professions (including 3 working with animals)

I excluded students - but not myself - cigar consultant.

Well ...... I thought it was an interesting result!

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
My guess is people who work in nursing / care have easier access to health care for themselves to treat their CD. For instance if I worked in a hospital I would have a bunch of doctors available to talk about my CD.

Are you joking?! I work in a hospital and have zero access to ANYTHING! sure, theres a bunch of people able to tell me I look ill, but none want to talk about crohns... I also have no way of pushing for appointments or anything...
Maybe we should look at pre-disposed types? Maybe nicer/more caring people are the ones who seem to get Crohns? ;)

Are you joking?! I work in a hospital and have zero access to ANYTHING! sure, theres a bunch of people able to tell me I look ill, but none want to talk about crohns... I also have no way of pushing for appointments or anything...
Maybe we should look at pre-disposed types? Maybe nicer/more caring people are the ones who seem to get Crohns? ;)
Yes that was more or less what I was thinking - is there a better reason?

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
What kind of hospital is that? Don't they offer insurance to their employees?
Aren't doctors there ready to help a coworker? This really annoys me.

Hahaha... Honestly...
The hospital line is 'what makes an employee more important than a police officer or someones mum?'...
I'm in the UK, no medical insurance required, I'm currently sitting on yet another hospital waiting list whilst being threatened I'll lose my job through sickness and occupational health pretty much just shrugging their shoulders ...
xxx