• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and clotting disorder

I have recently been Dx w/ probable Crohn's and am at the tail end of a flair.
One of the scariest things has been the thought of pregnancy. I'm starting to get that bug, but I have several factors that make me a high risk pregnancy.
1- I had a DVT and a PE and massive internal bleeding when I was 16 and at one point they thought it was Factor 8 or the BCP's I was on.
2- Crohn's

Before I was even Dx w/ IBD my OB said that she would probably want me to be on Heparin inj daily to prevent clotting. But from what I know crohn's also changes your clotting and heparin would be a bad idea.

I mean if I'm going to be bedridden and risk losing a baby and my own life, is it selfish to consider? I'm just wondering if there are other things anyone has heard of to decrease your risk or clotting w/ pregnancy w/o exacerbating crohn's?

Last edited:
Lots of women take heparin or lovenox during pregnancy and go on to have healthy babies. Talk to a reproductive immunologist about it, as well as your GI. Clotting problems are more common than you think. Its a problem with many people who are autoimmune, and can cause recurrant miscarriage.