• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and Constipation

Diagnosed in 2006 and currently on 6MP, Pentasa, Nexium, assorted vitamins and minerals. Question; For those of you suffering from constipation, what is working for you? I have been told to maintain low fiber diet to maintain passage though the crohns closure. This has caused constipation! Any suggestions????:grumpy::rosette2::rosette2:

Astra

Hiya

there are 2 types of fibre, soluble and insoluble. so insoluble fibre is more beneficial whilst constipated cos it helps to move food thro the intestines. These are dark green leafy veg, fruit skins, and whole wheat stuff, and loads of water. These should soften the stools, if eaten in the short term.
A low residue diet can cause constipation, so can certain meds.
But if you're still constipated after a week, consult your doc, there could be a stricture, causing narrowing.
hope you get some relief!

Thanks for the reply

Will be having CT-Scan to check for increased closures..... adding either fibre to my diet caused cramping:grumpy: and gas.....

GI suggested Miralax. Son could not tolerate fiber without severe cramping. Started taking half dose just to keep things moving along and adjusted dose as needed. He took it everyday for several months.

Constipation

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2006. I have only experienced lose stools to the extent that I had to plan all my outings, wear depends, and put an emergency kit in the car for accidents. This may sound odd but I would love a few days of constipation. I too have hear mirilax is best for Crohn's constipation relief.

i seem to go from terrible days of diarrhoea in the morning to up to two weeks with no bowel movement at all, all tests are showing inflamation and cronhs markers as they always do ;(

Control

I have chronic diahrrea. I would kill for one day of constipation. They have tried every med they can and I have researched all foods I could tolerate. It is hard. I definitely empathize with you. Not to use a pun but "what a crap shoot".

just recently got diagnosed with crohns as well, and had chronic "D" for months and now i am on prednisone( have been on it for almost 4 weeks) and the past 3 or 4 days i have been constipated and it is very uncomfortable, and my belly is swollen a little. i dont understand any of this either. i have been taking metamucil 3xs today and it hasnt helped yet. i need some suggestions myself. i was so glad that i had slowed down but didnt want to stop completely.

Constipation

I have heard from many that Miralax works really well. I have used the other in the past and was not happy with the results. Hope this helps.

I have chronic diahrrea. I would kill for one day of constipation. They have tried every med they can and I have researched all foods I could tolerate. It is hard. I definitely empathize with you. Not to use a pun but "what a crap shoot".
In my experience I would rather have the diarrhea by far! I had 15 plus bowel movements a day for over a year. In the past few weeks they have tapered off, and i am thinking maybe I am getting better, until they became nonexistent. I have taken every lax, and suppository there is out there. My stomach is so distended I look like I am pregnant. I feel so bloated and full, and frequently vomit after eating. The thought is now that I may have some sort of blockage. I know how you feel goofyrn, but I dont think you want to be constipated either! I wish for a happy medium, is that too much to ask? but it seems what us crohnies get is one end of the spectum or the other, there is no gray area... boo :( I hope you get the help you need, I just drank a bottle of magnesium citrate :thumbdown: the most horrible stuff ever! And there has been no outcome, just pain :( but as I understand this works for most if there is no blockage, maybe you can try that to get things moving, and follow with mirilax, that is what my gastro suggested until i get in to see if there is a blockage. :goodluck:

Nyx

Don't ignore constipation. I went 8 days without a bowel movement, and wound up with a ruptured sigmoid colon and distended bowel, resulting in a permanent stoma. Don't get me wrong, it's been the best thing ever, but it was very painful getting to where I am now!!

Talk to your doctor.

rygon

Ouch Nyx, but going 8days? you cant have been eating that much.. I feel so bad after 2 lol.
D is more annoying than anything but not having bowel movements is so harsh.

Are you making sure you are hydrated enough?

Nyx

@rygon...yes, 8 days...I didn't think anything of it. I wasn't in pain, didn't feel bloated...it wasn't until I tried to go to the bathroom that everything went downhill....lol It wasn't pretty...

Thank you "sic o crohn's' for your reply. The way you present it I'll stick with diahrrea. Sometimes its just a bunch of mucous. Its just weird. I do hope the miralax works for you. I have had to take the citrate once in preparation for a colonoscopy and it did nothing. I thought my GI guy was going to pull his hair out (and he doesn't have much to start with). My gut seems to respond the opposite than what one thinks. Please keep posted how you are doing. You sound so miserable and I will be thinking of you. Hugs.

Thank you for the good wishes goofyrn! I drank the whole bottle of citrate last night at 7:00 pm. central time. nothing until about 3am and that was just horrible pain, still could not go. This morning at about 5:30 to 6am I strained like hell to squeeze out about 3 tbsp. of liquid bowel movement... The pain is so terrible I feel like I am going to pass out. :( I am getting ready to take my kids to my moms and head up to the hospital for blood work and call my gastro to let her know that the citrate hasnt worked and tell her of the pain. Hope they can get something figured out. I just want my life back. How has the lax been working for the others on this thread? and if it did not work what ended up needing to be done? wish me luck, and I send prayers and good luck wishes to you all ♥

Hey Sick, I am so glad to hear you are going to the ER. They can give you meds to ease the pain, do labs. and probably a CT with and without contrast. I do hope you get relief. You are in my prayers and please keep us posted. Hugs. Cindy