• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and cross country

Is or does anyone have a high schooler that runs on the Cross Country team that has mild Crohns?
Are there any complications or issues.

thank you.

I never ran cross country but I played soccer, volleyball, and I ran quite a bit. I sometimes had problems with stomach pain but the more activity I did the better I felt and the more weight I gained. Playing sports, running, cycling, and all I did in high school helped me out and I wish I had the time in college to keep running. If I was you I would keep running and it will probably help.

Most importantly, talk to your doctor

Jeff

I played soccer as a child and then into high school. This was way before I was diagnosed, but it did mess with me a lot. I recall not being able to play forward position adequately due to severe stomach pain (couldn't keep up running), so the coach moved me to sweeper which I was able to tolerate a lot easier. Hopefully it doesn't interfere with you too much and you can continue to play with no problems. Good luck. :)

I am in the middle of a flare and I am doing a marathon this weekend. Just ensure he eats right. I always feel better when doing some physical activity.

I ran cross country, but it was long before I was diagnosed with CD. I planned on starting to run some 5k runs after I had my heart attack but my cardiolgist says no. I hope to get ready by next summer.
I would have to agree with Hobo as far as eating right. I have been told that it can mess with you because when you run your body sends most of your blood to your muscles which means your intestines is getting less and that could cause problems. I've never experianced it so I cannot be sure.
All your child can do is give it a try, can't let CD control his life. He has to take control of it. Good Luck

I would think the endorphins would help actually, and it depends on what symptoms are still there in "mild" flaring, because that could change what the possibilities are, I think. Eating right is important for "normal" runners, and even more crucial for a Crohn's patient exercising like that. A light run to test what comes of it can be tried unofficially one day, on a day off school, to see how the body reacts. Good luck.

I run cross country with Crohn's and I think that it has a really good effect because I havent had any problems and I feel fairly normal for once but then again I have a very mild case so idk if its the xc helping or its just not bad

hi. i didnt run in school. i played soccer, cheerleading, and football with my friends they didnt let girls play on teams for school back then. even though i had crohns symptoms since i was 4 diagnosed when i was 20. now almost 37. ive had severe crohns since my early 20s. when im well i run everyday. with arthritis and osteoperosis. i push myself so i can run after my kid. maybe a marathon one day. good luck to all of you.