• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and dental work

:sign0085:I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 7 years ago. I've had several surgeries and I've been through all the medications out there. I finally was placed on Cimzia and so far so good. My only problem is for the last two times I've had dental work done I developed serious pain after in the area being treated. I know that I'm more susceptible to infection. I'm not even sure if this is an infection. Should I be taking an antibiotic before or after dental work just as a pre-caution?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Do you find that you have to have a lot of dental work done? Has your dentist mentioned anything about the strength of you teeth? With crohn's you can suffer from vitamin deficiences and supplementation is required and I am wondering if this could be affecting things, have you ever had your levels checked? What type of work did you have to have done?

I take it the tum itself is settled for you on the Cimzia?

AB
xx

Perhaps it's just a Crohnie's predisposition to inflammation? My teeth hurt when my inflammation level is high, even without dental work. It may take longer for the trauma of dental work to subside.