• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and depression

Hi, i was wonderin if depression can b linked with crohns? My partner seems to think i mite b depressed, i cant seem to get my head around it all ive had so much to deal with since findin out i have crohns and i aint dealin with it so well and im takin it out on my partner. i got told i av crohns sept 2012 and since then i have been ill with one thing or another... was in hospital with dehydration, then chest infection, a few flares, perianal abscesses that dont seem to b clearin, always seem to b run down to the fact i dont wanna get up and do anythn, 3 cameras, countless antibiotics lastest ones puttin me in hospital cos of bad side effects and now ive gotta av an examination op next week to see why i keep gettin the abscesses. i feel like a failure cos i dont think im copin well with all this and my mood swings are horrible, i just dont no wot to do anymore..im not the person i used to b, before all this i was bubbly outgoin and happy now im so sad and angry and feel so alone, i dont go out or anythin because im afraid of a crohns attack... any advise would b great and thank u in advance for any replies xx

nogutsnoglory

Crohn's doesn't cause depression but its easy to get depressed when you have a disease like Crohn's. It takes over every area of our lives. Have you considered seeing a therapist to help with being able to talk to someone about all of your troubles?

It is absolutely something with any chronic illness. I know my doctor talked to me about that when I was diagnosed. I just have to say that you aren't alone. We are all here for you and each other. Keep your head up. When you finally get through this Crohn's rough patch, this will be something to look back on to remind yourself that you can overcome anything.

Make sure that you are eating as well as you can with your symptoms. Talk to your doctor to see if he or she wants to add a nutritional supplement.

And you aren't a failure! Crohn's can be a very difficult illness. I can't wait to see you posting on here talking about how you're feeling so much better.

Just know that we're all here for you. I'm going to postdate this following comment: "Remember that time it seemed like Crohn's was beating you down but you battled back and claimed victory allowing to to stop being sad and be awesome instead?"

Are you on prednisone?

Hi Nicola,
I get depression from my crohn's and it's symptoms too. I think it is very common. I see lots of comments here, on facebook pages and in some good articles too about depression and crohn's. I can send you a list of my favorite pages I follow if you like? Even if you don't feel like leaving a comment, it sometimes helps to read other comments. It's always nice to not feel alone and important with healing and acceptance, I think.

I would for sure mention how you are feeling to your doctor. Abscessing can be hard to manage and take a toll on you, how you are feeling is totally understandable but will need to be talked about with a professional if it keeps up.

Jen

I think that vitamin D3 can help with depression and fishoil and B vitamins too and they are all recommended for crohn's patients. Hope you feel better soon Love!!!:ghug:

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, All these changes with your illness do make you feel down. Not everyone understands how difficult it is and that is hard to cope with. I am sure you will find this forum helpful to vent your feelings when the going gets tough! All you need is someone to talk to who understands. Things will improve. I know I was often in tears too!!! I am now doing well on Infliximab and feeling more positive. Let me know how you are doing. Thinking of you. Best wishes.:sun:

Vitamin B6, I was told, can help combat some depressive effects. I had to start taking Keppra for seizures and I was worried about the depression possibility, my friend who's very into nutrition told me B6 will help with it.

It will get better, as time goes on and you learn more about your condition the more you can do to battle it. Diet will help a lot too, cut out pop / soda and deep fried or greasy foods. Try drinking pure coconut water too for dehydration, it's soothing all natural has more electrolytes than gatorade and it is healthy unlike gatorade.

I think everyone with CD gets a little down from time to time. I find it's best to keep your mind on other things as much as possible and a good sense of humor helps lots too! The best combatant for depression is exercise, even if you start with something low impact, get a routine going for yourself as it will make you stronger and more able to deal with your new kind of normal. Also, once you figure out foods that don't agree with you - stay away from them and eat as healthy as you can. Exercise and diet - nothing will help you more!

Hi there
Id just like to add that from my own personal experience, it took me about a year-18months to fully accept my condition, i was feeling alone and depressed etc. but once i accepted what i had and just dealt with it i found it alot easier. it helps to talk to family and close friends about your condition. once your in a proper medication routine then things start to get a bit easier. and it also helps that there are lots of people on here that have went through the exact same thing your going through at present. infact id bet that everyone has went through it at some point. its completely normal and it will go away and you will slowly but surely start to be your own bubbly self again :)

Hi there! Just thought I would add my pennies worth.. ask for a blood test to check your Vit D levels in your blood as it doesn't help either. Being on prescribed Vit D has actually helped with my depression, but it's hard to know when it's low vit d and when it's just because this disease sucks!

nativesith

GTA ModLeader Psx-Scene
My levels of vitamin D were really low, after improving that my depression decreased.
My blood was in such bad shape a few months ago. Low Vit d, Iron,B12..etc.
I am realizing all of my problems may very well be stemming my blood/blood flow.
May want to look into that yourself.
Creator bless and keep you well.

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
I hope all goes well for you tomorrow, and a diagnosis is made. You have had a tough time but as I said before, once they find the right treatment for you, you will feel a lot happier. Best wishes.

Hi there. I relate to everything u have said on here. I used to b bubbly and outgoing and ozed coinfidence, now I'd rather stay home and have no confidence. Crohns is the hardest hurdle I've had to face in my life, but I won't let this beat me, and I hope that u get to a stage where u feel the same. Having a rant on here helps and there are so many people to offer u support. Keep your chin up girl. We are all here for u xxxxx

Perhaps get your head around the illness and its issues a little differently: see it as a "hurdle" that you need to get past and deal with each problem as a hurdle rather than a wall? Visulazation helps you move forward. Hugs!

Sometimes it's easier said then done. Depressed now myself. Can't get rid of arthritis pain and stabbing pain in my legs and feet and even hands too. Like electric shocks. Burning feeling. I have a mouth sore amonst others. It is so frustrating. So tired too. Just want to sleep all day!:yfaint:

thanks everyone... well i gets to the hospital for my op only to find they av cancelled it and its now on the 12th june instead, not a happy bunny at all but one good thing is i could enjoy the sun today instead of bein stuck in hospital :) id like to thank everyone for replyin to me u av all been great with ur advise :) feelin pretty good today considerin they cancelled my op xx

Sorry to hear that they have cancelled ur op, but glad to hear ur in a good frame of mind about it. Life is a rollercoaster living with crohns, enjoy the good days and u will get throu the bad ones xxxx

Thanks stacey, was gutted that they cancelled it as i was geared up and ready for it but not to worry id rather b sat in the sun anyway lol, my partner was fumin tho bless him cos he just wants me sorted out, hes gonna put in a complaint as well cos the nurse that dealt with us this am was a lil snotty with us xx

Glad to hear u have a supportive partner, that always helps. What doesn't kills us makes us stronger babe. What is the op for? I'm sitting in the sunshine with my daughter reading her new books, so can't b all that bad ah?

Hes a brill partner and to say we av only been together 11 months as well i thought he would do a runner lol, its an examination op to see why i keep gettin perianal abscesses ive lost count on how many ive had, ive just come in out the sun its way too hot out there haha, im enjoyin the peace before my dad brings my girls home lol xx

I used to get abscesses under my armpits. I thought it was cos of my weight so I've been on a strict diet for 10 weeks and I haven't had one since. I've lost 2 stone so far with weight watchers. Got 2 more to go b4 I'm happy. Well saying that we r never happy us girls lol. Aww how old are ur kiddies? Bet they make u smile when ur down??

well done on losin the weight hun :) keep it up!! i think i could cope better if it werent for the abscesses there not comfy haha, my girls are 12 and 10 and yeah there the best always put a smile on my face, feel sorry for them sumthimes tho havin to see me go through all this, im prayin that they dont get crohns, my partner as a little boy whos 8 and hes a lil star too :) how old is ur little one? xx

I feel the same too. I don't want my kids to remember their childhood as mummy always being in pain. I'm getting good at hiding the pain most of the time. I think I will b devistated if my kids ever got Crohns. My baby boy is nearly 11 and my princess in 2. I was diagnosed 4 months after having my daughter so its been a tough couple of years. Xx

I've had problems since having my boy in 2002. I had really bad labour with him and had to have an emergency c.section, had the same with my daughter in 2011 and that's when the Crohns really kicked in and I was diagnosed with Crohns colitos. Was a massive shock and has been hard. I look at my kids everyday and promise myself that I won't let this beat me. My poor partner takes the brunt of it when I'm flaring up, but he is still here so he deserves a medal lol. I've just recently got over a long 3 week flare up and I was a bitch to him. I don't think I could do this without him thou.

bloody hell hun, i no wot mean about ur partner im the same with mine lol hes my rock, im still tryin to get my crohns meds rite im hopin once ive got the rite dose i should start to see an improvement, my eldest daughter has been showin little signs of crohns as in wen eatin certain foods she gets the big D and tummy cramps its not bad enough for me to take her anywhere yet im keepin a close eye on it as it doesnt happen all the time but i no im gonna av to get her seen too soon enough tho :( xx

Oh no. When eithee of mine complain of D or tummyache it makes me feel sick. Most of the time its just something they get from school. Its taken me 2 years to get my meds right. When I flare up its mostly because I've eaten something I shouldn't have or I've got a tummy bug. I work in a school with children with special needs so I'm bound to get something. Xxx

yeah im just hopin its down to wot she has ate, its scary to think that they could have this. im hopin my meds dont take too long to sort just waitin for my consultant to up the dose then hopefully im on my way :) i should b seein her on 12th june but now i av my op then so i think i will av to make another appointment to see her unless she comes n sees me when ive had my op, will av to wait n see xx

Keep me posted on how u get on babe. U sound a little bit more upbeat than u did when we first spoke. I'd better go and feed my brood. Chin up mate and look after urself xxx

Honey

Staff member
Hi there
Sorry to hear of your disappointment, your op being cancelled. I will be thinking of you on the 12th!! I am glad you have had a nice day in the sun. I too!! Best wishes.

Oh I've been so depressed @ times. Twice in the last 9 yrs I've been on Citalopram. I can literally feel the Crohns related problems bearing down on my mind & starting to drag me down that black hole. Horrible. Talking works, friends & family who understand. Its IMO the single most important thing to let it all out, bottling it up is the worst thing anyone can do.
Rgds
Grant

Just to say you're not that only one. Had my last op cancelled too and it was absolutely gutting. Glad there not making you wait for long - I had to wait for a month and half :/ Wasn't fun!

Thanks Honey x

Hey Grant, i think thats where i av been goin wrong, kept bottlin it up and takin it out on my partner which wasnt good, i aint one for talkin about my feelings but i think im gettin there, this forum has helped loads everyone is so nice and i no im not alone, im still gonna av a chat with my doctor tho to see wot they say, crohns is hard to get ya head around im learnin new things everyday x

Hey Gracifer, i was so gutted wen i was told it was cancelled just want it over and done with now so they can find out wots goin on and hopefully help me but i am glad i aint waitin for ages tho :) x

Nicola30, talking to friends & family is very important. Please talk to the ones you know & trust. it will help.
Grant

I know how you feel completely!! I was so nervous leading up to it, but at the same time just wanted it to be out of the way so I could start 'living' again, the shock of having them ring me up and tell me they'd cancelled it just blew me out the water!

thats how i felt Gracifer, lets hope they dont cancel the one next week. x

Grant, i have started to talk to my partner a little about how i feel and wots on my mind n that, thank u again for ur advise x

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
Wishing you well again soon . I hope it all goes smoothly for you tomorrow.
Best wishes .:panda-wave-t:

Hi, everythin went well with my eua and proctoscopy, no fistula found so i think thats good haha, no drianage of any abscess again good :) found skin tags... im home now which is great feelin ok.. gotta check for any discharge or leakage, so does this mean they av done somethin or is it because of the proctoscopy? so by the sounds of it im back to square one as to why im gettin abscesses... was disappointed with my time at the hospital, no one told me anythin and my partner got sent home at 9;30 this mornin and wasnt allowed back on the ward, i had to meet him in waitin area wen i could go home due to it bein an all woman ward, they could of told me this before i went in and i could of took my sister with me but no i had to spend my time in there on my own which i find pretty poor xx

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
That is good news you did not require that procedure. My feeling about abscesses is that you get these things when your system is down, not nourished properly. Crohns can do that as you lose a lot through Dia. So make sure you have a good diet in so far as you are able to eat. I hope you are feeling better today. Best wishes.

Hi Honey, my abscesses have not been as bad as they can be since one drained itself, im only able to eat a little due to not feelin hungry lol but wot i do eat is pretty healthy anyway :) lets just hope the abscesses stay away for a while now haha i av noticed tho this past week my joint are gettin more sore mainly my ankles and wrists, gonna bring this up with my consultant most mornings i feel 90 yrs old haha. feelin tired atm but im doin ok which is good. xx