• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and Diabetes

3 days before Christmas on my Dad's birthday he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He's doing very well controlling it but coming up with foods for the whole family to eat has been a bit of a challenge. I know Mike you have both so I guess this is more or less directed to you but anybody with suggestions I'd love the help. What are some good meal ideas that both somebody with Crohn's and diabetes can eat? Thanks for the help.

I have both also - the diabetes came from being on so much prednisone after I was diagnosed with Crohn's. Pasta doesn't seem to bother my Crohn's (as long as there are no peppers in it!). I know what you are thinking - pasta is bad for diabetics with all of those carbs, but trying using Dreamfield's pasta, it's low in digestible carbs and supposedly okay for diabetics. They have a website where you can find stores that sell it (maybe dreamfieldspasta.com?). I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with any other ideas, as I need help with this, too!

Ok thanks I'll look into that. I don't have both but my dad has the diabetes and I have Crohn's. I still live at home as I'm only 18 and my parents are having an awfully hard time coming up with meal ideas that are good for both of us. Thanks for the input.

crazycanuck said:
3 days before Christmas on my Dad's birthday he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He's doing very well controlling it but coming up with foods for the whole family to eat has been a bit of a challenge. I know Mike you have both so I guess this is more or less directed to you but anybody with suggestions I'd love the help. What are some good meal ideas that both somebody with Crohn's and diabetes can eat? Thanks for the help.
You may be trying to avoid this but in my house, my daughter is very picky, my DH loves spicy, and my crohn's and heart disease it's pretty difficult to find meals for us to eat together all the time. Much of the time we each fix separate meals and eat together.

Yeah that seems to be the trend here lately. Its hard because what I can eat the rest of my family usually enjoys. So it tends to be my mom, sister, and I eating one thing and making something seperate for my dad which we all know isn't the easiest thing for him to do especially when he would probably much rather have what we are. But thanks for the input.

Diabetes is auto-immune as well.. the most common auto-immune disease in my opinion.

Most of the problems from Diabetes is the food we eat. I also have had high levels of prednizone (still do) and it affected my blood sugar IMMENSELY. I was also on Seroquel for sleep (much better then the addictive bezo's or wake up on the floor and have no idea how you got there Ambien) - this caused my blood sugar to spike as well - double whammy.

HOWEVER, I was eating a sugar rich diet (all kinds of crap refined foods with tons of sugar in them). When I stopped this, guess what!, my blood sugar cratered and no need for any metformin or other crap they give you. I still watch it daily though... just in case.

Be careful with pasta - it's a carb and carbs sometime make diabetes bad, since it's really just a sugar (starch is a complex sugar and generally NOT good for anyone who has crohns or diabetes).

Eat a very carb-less diet. No potatos, no starch, no sugars, etc.. I choose to not eat Wheat, Dairy (well a tiny dairy half/half in my coffee, but a tiny amt), or any complex sugar. I stick to all non-carbohydrate foods - like good veggies, nice grilled chicken or meat, and some "good sugar" fruits. Mono-saccarides are even scary with diabetes - so you might hold off on the natural sugars like oranges, apples, grapes until you blood sugar returns to normal (<100).

Seems to be working for me... Good luck.. remember, as crohn's sufferers, we have a predisposition to all auto-immune diseases. I also suffer from auto-immune hepatitis - which I believe was triggered by food... but it's in control. So, when we get diabetes, it makes sense, since we just are walking immune system disabled people..

That's why I think it makes a lot of sense that the food is some sort of trigger for us, in that our body attacks what it believes is foreign, and food somehow creates these circumstances that our body just can't turn off the immune system, even when the foreign matter is ejected... as watery D...

I'm sorry but I must stress again I do not have diabetes. My dad has diabetes and I have Crohn's. Because of this combo in the house my mom is having an awful hard time getting meal ideas. I'm looking for sugestions on what kind of meals may be appropriate for the both of us.