• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and difficulty getting off entocort

Hi everyone,

I've had Crohn's for about 18 years now I'm new here. I thought some info from people who are actually dealing with this disease would be a big help, instead of just listening to doctors :D

I've had a rough time this last year, several flares which I was given entocort 9mg for 8 weeks. This last flare has been a tough one. It began in Nov and the steroids helped after a few weeks. I began weaning off of them in Jan but once I dropped to 6mg my symptoms returned. So I went back up to the 9mg for another 8 weeks. I finally stopped the meds about a week ago and started feeling sick only 2 days later. I spoke to my GI when the symptoms returned and he said its unusual to experience symptoms so soon after stopping the entocort.

Has anyone else experienced this?? I thought my symptoms might pass but they seem here to stay :(

Thanks everyone!

Hi! I was on entocort a while ago and while I didn't have symptoms coming off of that (that I can recall, anyway) I have had what you're describing with Prednisone (another steroid, as I am sure you know). I am not sure what to suggest but I might stand to reason the you are particularly sensitive to entocort. I am totally willing to listen, though!!

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

I don't actually think it is that strange to have symptoms again just after stopping a steroid. Sometimes, people still have symptoms while on them, as well.

Are you taking anything other than the Entocort?

:hug: I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for responding everyone. It's nice to talk to people who understand what you're going through :)

I'm currently on Pentasa, Prevacid, and lomotil as needed. I've been on 6-mp which seemed to help but my liver enzymes become elevated so I was taken off. My GI had mentioned putting me back on it if I became sick again so we'll see. Had some blood work done yesterday to see if I'm having flare, sure feels like it though.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum. I had issues with tapering & stopping Entocort too. I was on 9 mg for 6 weeks - when I tried to drop down to 6 mg, my symptoms started coming back, so I was put back on 9 mg for another 6 weeks. At that point, I was able to successfully drop to 6 mg without issue. I had to stay on 6 mg for about 4 months before I was able to come off of Entocort altogether. So about 7 months total for me on Entocort, but it did finally put me into remission. And as SarahBear said, it is possible to have symptoms while on steroids - I was typically having 1 to 2 bad days per week while on Entocort, and I actually felt better coming off of it at the end of 7 months.

How long have you been on Entocort? Sometimes it takes a long time to induce remission, and since it is a milder med, it's possible you may need something stronger. Did your GI put you back on Entocort since your symptoms came back?

Hi and thank you. I'm so happy you're feeling better :)

I was on 2 full rounds of entocort so about 4 months. I didn't seem to have problem when I tapered to 6mg this time. It wasnt until I stopped all together that I started feeling sick again. I called my GI and he wanted me to have some blood work to see if there is any sign of a flare, it sure feels like one. It's been about a week and my symptoms just seem to be getting worse. Hopefully ill have some answers this week.

Thanks for listening :)

SarahBear

Thanks for responding everyone. It's nice to talk to people who understand what you're going through :)

I'm currently on Pentasa, Prevacid, and lomotil as needed. I've been on 6-mp which seemed to help but my liver enzymes become elevated so I was taken off. My GI had mentioned putting me back on it if I became sick again so we'll see. Had some blood work done yesterday to see if I'm having flare, sure feels like it though.
:hug: I'm sorry you're feeling unwell. How do you feel about moving back up to a stronger medication?

Oh thank you. I felt pretty good when I was on the 6-MP and my GI suggested it at my last visit but I was feeling good so didn't want to take any extra meds. I wouldn't mind getting something, anything that will help.