• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and Fibromyalgia

I am going to a reumatologist on Thursday to explain all my muscle and joint pain. She has ran blood work and x-rays and tried a low dose of pred ( I cant handle high doses) that has not worked so it must not be arthritis. So it must be fibromyalgia. UGH I hate pain it is everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I was diagnosed with 'Fibromyalgia' a few years ago (before my Crohns diagnosis). For years before that I would have mysterious pains all over my body, including strange fleeting stabbing pains. I tried everything to get rid of them including quitting coffee, taking over the counter pain relievers etc. Nothing helped. I also had costochondritis (inflammation of the chest cartillage between the ribs) that would really put my out of commission. One time I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the emergency room :). Anyway, since my Crohns diagnosis I've been on Prenisone and all that went away. No more 'fibromyalgia' or any other body aches and pains. For me, I'm convinced that all those unusual symptoms I've had in the past were due to general systemic inflammation. Whether it was caused by crohns or whether both it AND crohns are both caused by something else I don't know.

But any way you slice it, my crohns treatment seems to have taken care of that problem.

You may want to look into Lyme Disease, as the symptoms you describe are pretty standard for that disease also. Lyme also weakens the immune response, which can lead to other autoimmune diseases.

The Prednisone will help with the symptoms, but that is a short term treatment, so you may have to find other methods to address the disease in the future.

I hope your doctor has some long term treatment in mind.

Dan