• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and fistulas

Hi,

My teenage son is actually the one with Crohn's. I am currently the one looking for options/ideas to manage his symptoms.

He was diagnosed 5 years ago ( then grade school age). We have exhausted all the meds that are approved for kids. They work great for awhile, but then he either has a reaction or they stop working.

He has never had the typical crohn's symptom - diarrhea. This is both a blessing and a curse. His main symptom is fistulas, and without outword symptoms like diarrhea, we don't know there is a problem until he gets anal fistulas that require surgery to fix.

I am wondering if there is anyone else with this no diarrhea/fistula combination. Have you found anything that seems to prevent the fistulas from forming?

Hia!
My most recent flare was very similar to your sons, I had 1-2 bowel movements a day which were soft but nothing like my previous flares where I would be going to the toilet 20+ times a day!
I too have suffered with fistulas, and unfortunately have not found anything which stops them forming. I have been on many different meds and they have not stopped forming.
Is he on any meds?
xxx

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you have come here to ask your question because there are so many people here that would like to help. I have no experience of fistulas so I can't offer any suggestions other than have a look at the sub-forum fistulas, fissures and abscesses, you might find someone else has posted a similar query.....below is the link.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

The sub-forum for parents would probably be beneficial too:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

I'm sorry that your son has Crohns :( as a parent myself I understand how painful and frustrating it is to see your child unwell. I really hope that you get some helpful responses to your query and your son gets some relief from his symptoms. good luck and lots of hugs. :ghug::ghug: