• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and High Triglycerides

Lynda Lynda

Does anyone here with Crohn's have High Trigycerides ?

What treatment or advice were you given to lower your triglycerides ?

I wanted a lipid panel test because I never recalled having one and I am 62 years old. I am in constant communication with my FMP at my Gastroenterologist office, so she volunteered to order the lipid panel test. I was not told to fast before the test, so I did not fast.

I received the results today and my triglycerides are HIGH ( should be 150 and mine is 355.) I will talk to my doctor next week about it.

Online the Mayo Clinic and CDC recommend a person fast for 8-12 hours before the test.

Everyone wants my blood 😳

Lynda

Last edited:

Scipio

You can lower triglycerides somewhat by cutting dietary carbs. If that doesn't work well enough you may wish to talk to your doc about whether going on a statin medication is a good idea.

Lynda Lynda

You really need to fast
The number without fasting is not very helpful.
I would ask your pcp to reorder the test in a few weeks and fast at least 12 hours .
Then you will know where you are at .
Went to my PCP. Explained about my first Lipid Panel situation / results. PCP ordered a Lipid Panel, I fasted between 10 to 12 hours. Now trigyclerides are 220. Still high, but more manageable.

My Crohn's is being managed well with my current treatment plan, but my stress, elevated blood pressure, major depression, anxiety, morbid obesity and sedentary lifestyle are all bad news.

crohnsinct

Just curious, which IBD meds are you on. Upadacitinib raises triglycerides.

Please don’t beat yourself up. Knowledge is power. Now you know. Get yourself a really good RD and come up with a plan. Slow and steady wins the race. It’s hard. I know. Working on my own numbers here. Day at a time.