• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and menstrual cycle

I've heard that it is common for women with crohn's to get diarrhea while on their period but I seem to go the other way and be constipated. Recently I've been flared and have had diarrhea so I've just kind of been regular during my period. Was just wondering if anyone else experiences this. Thanks!

At times I tend to be constipated on my period too. I blame the hormones for causing diarrhea some months and constipation others. Hope you are feeling better and welcome to the forum!

I've heard that it is common for women with crohn's to get diarrhea while on their period but I seem to go the other way and be constipated. Recently I've been flared and have had diarrhea so I've just kind of been regular during my period. Was just wondering if anyone else experiences this. Thanks!
I haven't received a diagnosis of IBD, but I do have endometriosis which I'm pretty sure causes parts of endometrial tissue to grow in my gut. I get horrible gut-wrenching pain when I'm on my period without any sort of hormone therapy. While I'm on my period, I'm very constipated and bloated, but towards the end, the bloating goes down and I get bad diarrhea. I started on the Depo-Provera shot after talking to my GYN doctor, but I don't recommend it because I've been having crazy, non-stop bleeding for the past month. I plan to get off it, for sure. Anyway, my point is that you could have another problem like endometriosis and not necessarily IBD such as Crohn's or UC. :(

I am more of the diarrhea type. But a friend of mine has IBD as well and often becomes severely constipated while on her period. Now, though, she takes a birth control pill that seems to help regulate her hormones and lessen the bowel issues.

Wishing you well!

I am more of the diarrhea type. But a friend of mine has IBD as well and often becomes severely constipated while on her period. Now, though, she takes a birth control pill that seems to help regulate her hormones and lessen the bowel issues.

Wishing you well!
There is a type of hormone that the body makes that causes pain during BMs while on the period - prostaglandins - and they can make cramps ten times worse. They are necessary since they cause the uterus to contract and expel menstrual material, but bad in excess. :(