• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns and not on meds

I know, i know, i know... :eek:
Im going to get a bunch of comments about how I need to get on medicine.

To be frank, when I was diagnosed with Crohn's I didnt understand it.
In fact, I have had it for years and never realised there was an actual term for my condition. I just thought it was my luck. :yfaint:
My doctor put me on so many meds after I was diagnosed that I was miserable. (16 a day, 3xs a day totaling over $500 a month) :shifty-t:
Not only was I told I couldnt drink, had to quit smoking and had to change my diet (which all benefit me anyways) but I was given steroids which just made me hate everything. :thumbdown:
I lost 60% of my hair on my head, gained weight, turned into a very cynical person.
I broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years, I weighed the most I ever have, I was insecure with my image. :sign0085:
When I finally got off the medicine, I was so relieved that I didnt want to go back to the doctor for any kind of treatment options. In fact, I avoided the doctor all together for, well 3 years now.

Here I am 3 years later, I am healthy, still in remission. I had a few little problems po(o)p ups hear and there, but nothing like the flare I had which diagnosed me originally.
I know I need to get on medicine, I am frightened but I put my big girl undies on and made an appointment for 2 weeks from now with a new doctor.

I am writing this today to ask my fellow crohnies; What medicines do you take? Is it expensive? Any side effects?

Any advice/information would be extremely helpful!!

Thanks a bunch!
~Shay

Hi Sheila-
Regardless of if I agree with anyone else taking medications or not, I have found out the medication route can be one that is long and hard, but I have been told that once the right medication or group of medications is found, that people can feel much better than they usually do (regardless of how used they are to "feeling bad") and have a more normal life. I am going with this, as I have not found the right combo of medication and have tried so many since July in hopes that something will work.
As for what medications I currently take, I am on Delzicol, Prednisone, Librax, Birth Control, VSL #3 (a probiotic that I will probably discontinue), Flovent (for EGE and don't know that I will be staying on it as the Dr. wants another endoscopy to see where I am with the EGE inflammation), Calcium, Vitamin D, and Amitriptyline. I start Humira this week and we will look at tapering me off Delzicol and Prednisone. The only reason I take Librax is to help with pain at night and it is elective whether I take it, even though most days I do. Hopefully with Humira, it will also go away in time.

I think it is great that you have made an appt with a GI. The thing with Crohns is that you can be asymptomatic and still have inflammation simmering. That simmering inflammation can cause irreparable damage that can lead to serious complications.

Even with meds, regular lab work and testing is important.

I'm not sure what meds you tried before. Steroids aren't a long term option. There are 5ASAs like pentasa, though they aren't as effective for CD as they are for UC, then the next twirl of meds would be immunosuppressants such as Imuran and methotrexate and then there are biologics like remicade and humira.

I hope your appt goes well.