• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and RA

I'm Pat, an almost 70 year old woman, who was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago, and Crohn's disease this year. I have had complex abdominal issues for the past 16 years, after getting toxic megacolon from C. Diff colitis after antibiotic use. I've had multiple abdominal surgeries, and have a short colon. I have had chronic diarrhea for years, but started bloody stools this past year. Biopsies revealed Crohn's. I had just been diagnosed with sero-negative RA about 2 years ago, diagnosed by joint involvement and bony erosions, typical of RA, but not arthritis associated with Crohn's. Neither disease symptoms are under control yet. Orencia worked great for the RA, but doesn't treat Crohn's, so I am now starting Remicade. Many say that having both RA and Crohn's is rare, and certainly unusual for my age. Anyone else have similar stories or experiences with both diseases? Any good results from Remicade?
Thanks!
Pat

Hi Pat.

I, fortunately, do not have RA. However, my mother had it and I have Crohn's Disease. I personally believe the 2 diseases are cousins. So many of the same medicines are used to treat both diseases. They are both inflammatory diseases. In fact, my chief Crohn's med is Humira, which was originally designed for RA. I also think that having RA and Crohn's is not as rare as the docs think.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has spondyloarthritis and Crohn's disease
Most who have crohns have crohns related arthritis.
Tagging Maya142
http://www.spondylitis.org/About-Spondylitis/Types-of-Spondylitis/Enteropathic-Arthritis

Enteropathic (en -ter-o-path-ic) arthritis, or EnA, is a form of chronic, inflammatory arthritis associated with the occurrence of an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), the two best-known types of which are ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. About one in five people with Crohn's or ulcerative colitis will develop enteropathic arthritis.
The most common areas affected by EnA are the peripheral (limb) joints and, in some cases, the entire spine can become involved, as well. Abdominal pain and, possibly, bloody diarrhea associated with IBD are also components of the disease.

Maya142

Staff member
Which joints of yours are involved? Typically with spondyloarthritis, you would have lower back (SI joint pain) that gets better with movement and worse with inactivity. Morning stiffness is also very common. Often the hips, spine, heels, knees are involved, though really any joint can be involved (including hands).

Generally the kind of arthritis that is associated with IBD is Spondyloarthritis (Enteropathic arthritis is a type of SpA). They are both in the same family of diseases, while RA is genetically different.

The type of erosions and damage found in SpA is different from RA, so a good radiologist should be able to tell.

However, SpA tends to start in younger people -- onset under 40, usually in the 20s. RA is usually diagnosed later.

There is also a gene for SpA that they can test you for - HLA B27. Most people with SpA are HLA B27+ though it is certainly possible to be HLA B27- and have SpA.

The fact that you responded to Orencia makes it sound like RA vs. SpA (Orencia would not work in SpA, usually). Remicade treats RA and SpA (and of course IBD) so either way, hopefully you will respond.

Spondylitis.org has a lot of great info.