• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and SS Disability

I was just wondering if anyone who has Crohn's disease is receiving disability? I was reading online a bit and saw that it was rare to get approved for it. Before my surgery I had several strictures, fissures, scar tissue, inflammation, etc and no medication I tried worked (the meds actually made it worse). Even though that is all removed, I do still have some symptoms.... Anyone have some insight about IBD and being able to receive disability? Thanks!

Hi Nicole, Crohns is never easy no matter what your symptoms are like. I started developing symptoms in 96 but by 98 I had lost so much weight and was so anemic, I thought I was dying. It took four doctors to piece the puzzle together. The last of the four was a gastroenterologist and when I woke up after my colonoscopy, he was standing there holding two Polaroid photos of my large colon and it wasn’t pretty. From that point forward, I owned Crohns for life ( that’s what my Dr told me) . I started on a 6 year odyssey trying to find drugs to control my disease. Of Remacaid , Imuran, Asacol and Pred, the pred. was the only thing that came close to controlling my symptoms. In 2004, a section of my colon was so strictured from Crohns, it had to be removed. In 2005, I had my first heart attack and 5 way bypass surgery. Just for fun, they told me I was also a type II diabetic. During 2004 and part of 05, the Crohns raged on with all its terrible pain and related symptoms. Through all of the cycles trying to get off the Pred, I continued to work my bench job ( Elect Tech). The only reason I was able to continue was because I had a bathroom that was only steps away from my workbench.. In 2006, my gastroenterologist advised me after my latest round of Go Litely and a colonoscopy that the remainder of my large intestine was so closed up and scarred that if I didn't have it removed, in all likelihood I would need an emergency surgery to fix a blocked or dying section of large intestine. A year later, my emotional condition was at its breaking point and so I gave up my job which I loved and I applied for SS disability. In 2007, I was 59 years old. The surgery left me with an Illeostomy that was positioned right on my belt line. Part of my job involved lifting components off and on to my workbench and every time I did that, it hurt me as my ab muscles tightened around my Ostomy. It felt like it was being strangled. . With my diabetes, my heart problems and my Crohns history, and my emotional state at the time they approved my SSD. I have an idea that because I was only a few years away from the min 62 year point to retire anyway, that is why they granted my disability after only a 6 month application process. This was probably the exception rather than the rule but I am so thankful that it happened. As much as I loved my profession it was getting very stressful and the stress would trigger flare ups.

I know of a crackhead with crohn's where I live that got on disability, and he rides around on a f*cking bike everyday drinking beer. I got denied when I applied for Medicaid, so Im pretty positive I would get denied for disability. I havent been able to work a full week since 2008... ugh.

SSD and Crohn's

I just got SSD on the first try. I am 47 and had Crohn's for 15 years. I had a fistula surgery that did not heal correct. That may have made a difference for SSD. I first went on short term, then long term disability from work. While I was on long term, my disability insurance made me file with SSD; they also provided a third party company to help with paperwork. I also have all my issues well documented and both my family and GI docs are on board. If you need the name of the third party company, send me a private message.

Nicole..
I got approved the 1st time I tried.. But I have had crohn's for over 15 years before that, 2 major surgeries, and the last year before I got approved I was out of work for almost the entire year, and had 4 to 5 hospital stays of about a week each.

My doctor said they called him and questioned him etc about the seriousness of my illness etc. and he gave them holy hell...He made sure I got approved. But you do have to show you are very sick and be out of work for an exteneded perioid of time.

Also... from what I read if you are taking or at least prescribed depression meds, it helps the case also.. I got prescribed Paxil, which did help me, But I wanted to show that is was one of the meds i was taking..I no longer take it, but when I was sick and down and out I took it, and it helped me get out of my rutt.

In short, you have to show that you havent worked for almost a year, and usually mutiple hospital visits etc. seem to help the case. But I think your docotor really needs to fight for it.

hey nicole.hows things going??
im in the uk and we have dla(disability living allowance)i applied 3 times and always got KO'd but eventualy they had to let me appeal so i did and had to go in front of a panel of lawyer doctoer and someone from benefits and plead my case.they were pretty hesitant to give me anything and my last KO letter it was explained that i wasnt realy DISABLED and that with my condition i should be able to handle shitting myself in public.i would have strangled the bitch if i'd met her face to face and for once actually wished something upon someone just to see how she would cope not getting out her house or shitting herself in public.anyhoo i eventualy won my case with help from a friend of the family who worked for citizens advice(they give you free legal dvice and work for free as volanteers) and even better it was her first victory in 10 cases for crohns sufferers.anyhoo thats my story,never give up and fight for what you DUE,

It can be done..in USA...SSD. But you do have to be at a sick point of your crohn's.that seems to help your case much more. And a Doctor who is seasoned, in practice for many years, and will fight for you.