• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and stoma... why?

So basically that is my question. If you have crohns how did you end up with a stoma? Is it a temporary one or is it a permanent one? Why do you have it and how do you deal with having one?

I have to say... about 6-7 years ago if someone would have asked me about a stoma my reply was that Crohns patients dont get them. Its a treatment for ulcerative colitis. Only reason a crohn petient wold get one (in my opinion) was that there had been a complication in a surgery. I now knoe thats not exactly true.. even I still would say that crohns + stoma is an unlikely combination.

My story: In 2006 in result of an operation gone bad I got a temporary stoma. After my operation (on a friday the 13th :shifty-t: ) my stiches connecting the two ends of my intestines that a part inbetween was removed did not hold. Reson being my low health and lack of nutrients and because of those the wall of the intestine was weak. On monday they re-operated me and cleard up the sepsis and I ended up having a stoma. It was closed up 5 months later but for me it was such an positive experience that when I again had an operation in 2008 I asked the surgen if a stoma would be an option again. He said they dont really do stomas "on demand" that only if there is medical reason for it would I end up wit one again. I was lucky (in my opinion) and I did end up wit a new stoma and now it is a permanent one I will have for the rest of my life. Reason I got it again was the surgeon was afraid the situation of 2006 would repeat.

I have short gut (with les then 5'10 small intestines left) so my stoma is extreamly active. I must drink a lot to keep my hydration in balance but drinking = running to the toilet. For me after the close op of my first stoma in 2007 I was entering a rally bad time. All I had was a messed up stomach and diarrheah all the time. It was so hard after the 5 months of having a stoma and feeling good. With it atleast I had some controll of WHEN i had to use the toilet. And I could wait some minutes if needed. So in 2008 when again I got a stoma I desided I would not give it up and in 2010 they removed the "extra" large intestine that had become extreamly inflamed from not being in use and I now only have my own height of intestines. About 1/4 of what i had in 1995 when my first operation was.

So whats your story to having a stoma?

I have a temp stoma due to uncontrolled active CD in my rectum and anus.
The inflammation was so bad I could not poop without the aid of morphine - it was awful.
Active disease is now back under control thanks to Humira.
My bum has healed and is ready to return to active duty.
Reversal on the cards for Dec 2012 or Jan 2013.

Terriernut

Crohn's can present anywhere but plenty of us have it in the colon and rectum. Mine has only been in my colon so far, and that's how I ended up with Stan.

I love it how some of you give names to your ostomy. Thats fun.

I gues if you have your crohns in the colon it would be a great solution. One doctor of mine once said that sometimes crohn can be very specific to one place and once it is removed there is a chance it wont re-acur. For me it was the end of the small intestine and joining to the large intestine. I suppose now I dont have them so my crohns is gone too. Or Humira is working for me.

Samboi, Glad humira is helping you. I am also on it and seems to work. Just wish it had been available to me 10 years ago.

Terriernut

I didn't mention the expletives I use in FRONT of Stans name on occasion! I'm still trying for a reversal this year. I've got all my colon but the sigmoid so I hope it should be ok!

i thought the opposite sanni, in my opinion all the people that i know that have crohn's roughly 50% of them have a bag because their disease just became either too agressive or just was not responding to meds.

i have a permanent bag because for 11 years i had crohns in my colon, no meds worked so it made sense to remove it and here i am symptom free and enjoying life! :)

i thought the opposite sanni, in my opinion all the people that i know that have crohn's roughly 50% of them have a bag because their disease just became either too agressive or just was not responding to meds.
I am starting to realize this. Here in finland I dont know anyone with crohns AND stoma. Atleast a permanent one. It seems even if the large intestine is removed the small is just joined to the rectum. Ofc its a much smaller population here. Thats why I have moved to this forum now. I cant find support in our local forums anymore.

I gues having your large intestine romover when having crohns just makes you hope it wont come in new places. I know I hope mine wont ever come back since with short gut I cant aford to lose any more intestine.

My bowel was completely blocked , in febaury last year I haD A HEMI-COLECTOMY , the surgeon said my bowel was like a piece of leather , really flat about 5 inches of it , i had been very ill prior to it , constantly on steriods , but i moved home and got lost in the system , then had to have it done again as it kept blocking ! now that is Pain !! its supposed to be temporary to give my colon a rest , there is no Crohn's in my colon , but it is inflammed , the stoma did not make much diffrence to cRohn's symtome , ie , Dx I think you call it , depending on my diet ,but because its in the bag its easier , but gets very sore around it .. I really need to know if anyone else has had a reversal ???? I dont know much about it so would appreciate some input , as well as gall bladder removal , Can Anyone HELP ???

I have an ileostomy and had mt gallbladder removed about three weeks ago.
Feel great - best I have felt all year.
Feel free to pm me if you want.

I had a subtotal colectomy, because of multiple strictures (9 cm opening) due to scar tissue from 17 years of active disease. The stoma was temporary. Only ever had Crohn's in my colon.

maria

I love you God.
Mines from UC. Mine had to happen because I was bleeding and in pain and meds wouldnt help me. I think from stress. I got it Feb 14 of last yr got my jpouch created June 14 of this yr. next week sometime is when I'm getting my takedown.

Hi scanning,
I've just had a permanent stoma done for crohns. I've called her 'miss piggy' as she is a little noisy and demanding. I have short bowel as well and pre ostomy was dashing to loo in excess of 30 times some days. It is so nice to not have to run off to the loo all the time.

I have to admit I am still having some post op hiccups, but once they are all sorted I am looking forward to having a much better quality of life.
Cheers janette

I suffer from crohns in both my large and small intestines. This last flare affected both. I had a resection on May 15th of this year and knew right before the surgery that I would have a temporary ostomy when I woke up. I don't remember if my surgeon told me it was going to be an ileostomy (which is what I have) because I was so sick and on such high doses of dilaudid but I do remember him saying that the ostomy was to give my bowel a break... My reversal is scheduled for October 10th.

I have had Crohn's for 20 + years and it caused rectal cancer,radiation and chemo wrecked my insides so that is why I have a colostomy.Mine is not working well so I am having a proctocolectomy and ileostomy.I really stress seeing your Doctor asap if you have a lot of anal problems like abscesses ,or any strange growths there.I thought my problem was just another weird crohn's side effect but my daughter made me go to my Doctor and thank God I did,they caught my cancer at a stage 2.I was told that all the abscesses over the years caused the cancer.

annawato

Staff member
Thank god you went to the doctor Debbie, its so easy for us to blame everything on Crohn's or UC and just put up with it. Godd advice to everyone to get things checked out.
this is my second stoma (ileostomy) and both have been to allow bowel rest after resections. My crohn's is mainly in the small bowel and causes lots of abscesses but I've also had throat and anal abscesses. i also have short bowel syndrome now due to the amount removed in resections.