• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns And Transgender Hormone Therapy?

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted!

Danni, or rather 'Didi' is unfortunately now having a third flare in 8 months...She, yes she, is back on steroids now and waiting to see her consultant on the 19th September, when he may reiew her medication.

Well, it has been a really big time of transition for Didi, she, after so many years of emotional struggle, has now, well, not just now...what can I say, my once Son has now allowed his sprit to be free...and is tentativly flowering into a female....I have a daughter.

The reason for my writing this is to ask, to find out, if she will be able to take the Female hormone replacement when she has Crohns?....I am so afraid that this will hinder her, after being so brave to get this far, I don't want her heart broken if she is told that Crohns will get in the way somehow.

Does anyone here know any answers to this?

I know we can ask the Consultant on the 19th, but I not sure if she will feel comforatble to discuss this with him...We are not going down the NHS Route, we are going private. The NHS still do not treat Transgender people very well, they make them jump through hoops to get any help...and, where we live, they are even more in the dark ages than most!!!

Any help please...Thank you so much.

Ellowyne

Hi,
There is actually a study that shows women going through menopause who receive HRT are much less likely to have a flare up of their Crohn's Disease. It would most likely be a good thing to continue.
Wish you well, and hope your daughter is set free to enjoy her life as she should.

It should not make any difference. If she gets to taking hormones she'll be given estrogen, probably ethinylestradiol, or maybe a generic plant extracted oestradiol hemihydrate brand name Zumenon, either is pretty safe even in the doses given pre-op. And wont preclude her from also taking Crohn's drugs. Avoid Premarin tho, not because of it's manufacture(!) but from the much higher risk of DVT/thromboembolism. If she gets past a few months of estrogen then ask about anti-androgens to help things along.

Good luck, it's a long and very hard road for all involved.

Ugh, three flares in eight months! How awful. I hope she gets her disease under better control.

As for the hormones, I believe Crohn's should not hinder her from taking them. It would be good for her to discuss this with her doctor, even if it is uncomfortable.

The only thing I can think of that might be problematic is taking steroids. Prednisone is a "male hormone" which can cause more "male" characteristics. Some women experience hair growth where they hadn't had hair before (I grew a minimally noticeable mustache), which might cause her to be more dysphoric. I'm not sure if taking hormones and steroids at the same time would affect the side effects (although it seems logical).

How are you doing with all of this? Crohn's can be just as big a shock to the caregiver as to the patient.

Thank you for all the kind and encouraging messages, I really appretiate your help.

It all sounds promising, so hopefully all will go well...though it is a long process!

As for the Crohns flare, Didi was very unwell when she was first diagnosed back in January...Then all was ok on Pentassa for for appox 3 months, then she had another flare and course of Steroids. All was ok for 6 weeks, then again, her toilet changed and blood was present, so her Consultant prescribed another course of Steroids.

The thing is, Didi is not keen on starting the heavy Meds for her crohns yet! She says she will ask the consultant for one more try on the Pentassa?....But I think he may not agree...Her Bowel Disease Nurse said they would keep her On the Pentassa, plus Add another medication...Like Imran?

Not sure what will happen...But at this time she is feeling well, sh has been on the pred for 3 weeks now.

Thank you again for all the support...Hugs, Ellowyne xXx

The thing is, Didi is not keen on starting the heavy Meds for her crohns yet! She says she will ask the consultant for one more try on the Pentassa?....But I think he may not agree...Her Bowel Disease Nurse said they would keep her On the Pentassa, plus Add another medication...Like Imran?

Not sure what will happen...But at this time she is feeling well, sh has been on the pred for 3 weeks now.
This is pretty common in Crohn's, I think, and probably in all autoimmune diseases. Especially when the diagnosis is fresh and people are still in denial. If she fails on what she's taking, she will probably at some point have to start taking the "heavy meds."

I wish you both luck, this is a tough one to navigate, but not impossible.

Imuran (or azathioprine here in the UK) is a relative pussy cat compared to pred and many of the Crohn's drugs. Call it a mid-range drug! If she tolerates it aza is reasonably benign, people have been on it for many years; I know one chap I meet in the local park, not a Crohnie, who has been taking it for over 30 years with little trouble.

The difficulty is if you delay taking the drugs the inflammation may take hold that much more and prove harder to combat, needing stronger more problematic drugs perhaps or even surgery. Controlling the inflammation in Crohn's is paramount. Life is better with it under control.

I'd really recommend Did gets the Crohn's nailed as far as possible now before trying hormones, transition will be hard enough mentally and physically without it interfering as well.

You can 100% get estrogen without relying on the digestive system, as injectable or patches, or gels. The problem is antiandrogens, you cannot take flutamide or spironolactone anyway but orally as a normal person because injecting them requires serious medical supervision due to complications. But there is something else you can get, Goserelin, a GnRH agonist which shuts down the hormones that stimulate the release of sex hormones. They are vastly more powerful, injectable, and incredibly expensive.