• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's article

It says there is a lack of funding due to the fact that it is 'embarrassing'
That is sad. But probably true. More awareness = More funding.
Time to start talking more POOP! :ycool:
On that note..dinner time! :tongue:

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Nice article Jetta lady......As the incidence of the disease increases, there will be more awareness. We need a celebrity to come out with it sort like what happened with Rock Hudson and AIDS......At least there are more tv ads regarding meds now.

The football player David Garrard has Crohn's and does commercials for it,
but he underplays the disease. I suspect his case is mild and the commercial
seems to say that Remicade will completely fix you forever and you can return
to doing things like playing football all the time. :yrolleyes:

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Good article. Who do we know that's famous with it besides David Garrard? Need a new spokesman maybe?

This was a good article, I thought it was a pretty good short answer to the question I get a lot "what does Crohn's do?"

Is there anything else out there about Crohn's and smoking?

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
parkinglothero said:
This was a good article, I thought it was a pretty good short answer to the question I get a lot "what does Crohn's do?"

Is there anything else out there about Crohn's and smoking?
Don't do it.

Thats what I hear... but i was reading on here somewhere that there have been studies that nicotine (which doesn't mean smoking) helps flares.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
MINI Cooper said:
The football player David Garrard has Crohn's and does commercials for it,
but he underplays the disease. I suspect his case is mild and the commercial
seems to say that Remicade will completely fix you forever and you can return
to doing things like playing football all the time. :yrolleyes:
Yes...My family said " Why don't you take the medicine that the football player advertises?"...Guess what, I think we are both on Remicade...Only our close family and friends know who painful and debilitating it really is.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Sadly, Crohn's Disease is getting better known nowadays because the incidence of it occurring is on the rise.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
GoJohnnyGo said:
Sadly, Crohn's Disease is getting better known nowadays because the incidence of it occurring is on the rise.
Hey Johnny, do you have any info about clusters of Crohn's disease occuring in Nova Scotia???

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
imisspopcorn said:
Hey Johnny, do you have any info about clusters of Crohn's disease occuring in Nova Scotia???
I was not aware of that. It does appear to be the case, though.

It's thought that Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis affects 1 in 350 Canadians. Most folks here have heard of it, or know someone with it (even if they aren't quite sure what it's all about).

Link here says Alberta and Nova Scotia have the highest rates in the country.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I used to smoke (quit finally now for almost 8 years) my very first Gi said to quit smoking (I was 32 and going through hell and divorce precedings at the time. I didnt quit and I lied to him when I said I quit, but he knew. I did quit for some time and stupidly went back to it, never a heavy smoker but when I was going for my second resection my gp was training for to be an anaetheisology ( spelled wrong, so sue me lol) and told me the smoking increases fatality rates during surgery so I quit 6 months before my surgery. Then after I was too sick (got infected from the surgery) but now I am glad I quit. Nicotine is only supposed to help Colitis but it is only a theory.

I have heard that smoking alters the area in which the Crohn's develops, but have never heard that smokers get it more often.

I wonder what source or study he is getting that from? I have never run into it, and i have seen a lot of studies.

OK Mazen, your work is cut out for you!:smile:

Dan

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
If there is a study, Mazen will find it!:ylol2: .

I get some information from the www.ccfc.ca site in Canada, there is alot of info there. Also some good Gi's that know about Crohns must know when their patients flare from smoking or not. My Gi helps his patients by telling them how others do on certain meds/supplements.