• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns changed over last few months

Hi,

I have had Crohns for 15 years now and have the usual flare ups every few months and general discomfort but over the last four or five months it has changed .... chronic constipation (can only produce pebbles or pencil thin stools), the pain is different and back ache is worse.

What I am asking is if this is 'normal' ie does Crohns change even after 15 years of relative consistency?

Any similar experience I would love to hear about.

Dave

I have been through stages of diarrhea and constipation. My GI recommended a fiber supplement to help with constipation. I use the brand Benefiber and it does help without any cramping or gas. I believe dehydration can contribute to constipation as well.

Hi,

I have had Crohns for 15 years now and have the usual flare ups every few months and general discomfort but over the last four or five months it has changed .... chronic constipation (can only produce pebbles or pencil thin stools), the pain is different and back ache is worse.

What I am asking is if this is 'normal' ie does Crohns change even after 15 years of relative consistency?

Any similar experience I would love to hear about.

Dave

I had the same thing with a lot of pain passing stool. In my case I had a stricture (narrowing of intestine) that was interfering with my passing of stool. If you are noticing changes I would contact your doctor. My Crohn’s was moderate to severe, but I showed no real outward signs of being that ill, so my doctor assumed I was better than I actually was. He discovered that my body was basically hiding my illness. Even my tests came back in the normal range. A colonoscopy and my persistence about my pain is what got changes in my care.

When i had troubles going to the bathroom and having lots of pain and discomfort, with the thin stools, I also had strictures. They became so bad it would cause obstructions.

I had the same thing with a lot of pain passing stool. In my case I had a stricture (narrowing of intestine) that was interfering with my passing of stool. If you are noticing changes I would contact your doctor. My Crohn’s was moderate to severe, but I showed no real outward signs of being that ill, so my doctor assumed I was better than I actually was. He discovered that my body was basically hiding my illness. Even my tests came back in the normal range. A colonoscopy and my persistence about my pain is what got changes in my care.
Thanks, what happened when they found a stricture? Was it discovered by MRI?

Dave

When i had troubles going to the bathroom and having lots of pain and discomfort, with the thin stools, I also had strictures. They became so bad it would cause obstructions.
Thanks, what happened when they found a stricture? Was it discovered by MRI?

Dave