• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Colitis Flareup:Multiple symptoms

Hi,

I've had Crohn's for twenty years but was symptom free for fifteen of them.
I don't smoke, I eat a clean diet and exercise.

In the last three months I've had to run to the bathroom up to twenty-five times a day, lost a lot of weight and have extremely low Iron.

My Colonoscopy revealed that I have severe ulceration, nodules, ect in part of my Colon and I'm going to begin Remicade therapy soon.

I have severe edema in both of my calves and feet and Erythem Nodosum (Red, painful bumps on my calves and shins), extreme pain in my knees and ankles and a large hard, subcutaneous growth on the outside of my left knee.
I even have some pain when I sit down and in my lower back.

My general practicioner told me that these symptoms MIGHT be due to my Crohn's flareup and ordered a Sonigram for the huge growth on my left knee.

This flareup has been ongoing for about four months.

My questions are:

Has anyone else experienced any or all of these symptoms during
your Crohn's flareup?

And if you have, what have you/your GI done about this?

nogutsnoglory

I have had to run to the bathroom upwards of 30 times a day with pure diarrhea. Doctors put me on 3 anti-diarrhea meds and Remicade to calm the inflammation. It doesn't change overnight but remicade can be a great drug.

Hi,I had severe D day and night after a resection. The only thing that worked for me was pure physllium Husk from the health store. I had around 1-2 heaped teaspoons in a glass of orange juice in the morning. I swear it felt like a miracle after having gone through months of agony and many other prescription drugs like Questran. Good luck!!

David

Co-Founder
With that pain in your lower back, I suggest that you request a referral to a rheumatologist for evaluation as well.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time and hope they get things under control soon!

Are you on Prednisone? I ask because I too have extreme joint pain and some swelling all because I've been on it for a while. If not, I'd check with the Dr... Doesn't sound right.

I am on no medications right now.
Got the OK for myself TB test results this morning-Will hopefully begin Remicade therapy soon

When I was on Prednisone years ago I went up to 415 lbs.

The inflammation & ulceration from my Crohn's flareup has caused severe Anemia, joint pain, fatigue, cramps, severe edema, painful itchy welts, a few subcutaneous growths on my legs.