• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's, College, Study Abroad

Hi All,

I have been on a gluten-free diet for joint pain for over two years now because my doctor consistently told me it was just growing pain or normal for children to have this until it got so bad in my back and hips that it caused muscle spasms and immobilized me. Then I was referred to an rheumatologist who told me he couldn't help me. At this point, my mother was doing her own research and convinced me to try a gluten-free diet for a month and see if it helped. It drastically improved my symptoms and I've been living the gluten-free life ever since. When I finally met with my GI, she told me to keep the gluten-free diet as some people with Crohn's find it helpful.

I started medication to treat Crohn's this past July (2016) and was officially diagnosed with a Colonoscopy in August. I'm only 20 years old, and started having what I now know was a flare in April while away at college. I was constantly going to the bathroom and had intense stomach cramping. I couldn't eat without pain and even rice hurt my stomach. I was pushing through the pain for a few days and hoping it was just the stomach flu when I discovered abnormal amounts of blood and ended up in the ER. They took my blood, told me I was slightly anemic, and told me to see a GI when the semester was over since I was in the midst of exams.

I'm originally from the east coast of the USA, but am currently in Scotland. I decided that if I was going to be sick, I could be sick in another country just as well as I could at home. The medication was helping, and I have felt relatively better on the whole, but I've had triggers from so many foods it's exhausting finding out what I can and can't eat. I have had to completely eliminate meat and lactose from my diet. I still eat eggs and fish when I feel my body can handle it, but every two weeks or so I have a 2-3 day mini flare. The last two weeks have been particularly bad (but I'm starting to feel better, yay!) and I have found myself acquainted with the NHS on campus who I will be visiting again tomorrow for blood results.

My situation feels complicated and is strained by my lack of present support from family and friends. I don't want them to worry about me when there's literally nothing they can do. I don't regret coming to Scotland, but I am growing increasingly frustrated with my body's refusal to function.

I am on
4x250 Pentasa (Morning and Night)
3x3 Budesonide (Morning)

I am very impressed with the maturity you have at only 20!

I hope this is a good week for you.

Welcome.

Last edited: