• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's complete remission for 20 months

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2015, in the hospital in 2015 and 2016 for treatment while taking 6000mg of steroid class drugs daily, accidently realized that I started getting sick when I quit smoking marijuana, could not afford the drugs they were prescribing so to make a long story short, started vaporizing weed and symptoms continued to improve, decided to try (RSO) Rick Simpson Oil, placed drop of oil in the a.m. and a drop in the p.m. putting under my tongue and allowing to slowly release into my stomach, January will be 2 years in complete remission, no side effects, no high while on, this also cured my acid reflux I had for 20 years, no longer taking medicine for. Always had high Blood pressure, taking no BP medicine and is back to normal! It completely controls my weight within 3 pounds at any time, I have plenty of energy, I feel healthy, feel 20 years younger. When I was just smoking it kept the Crohn's manageable, but oil put in complete remission! I am summitting blood tests to Johns Hopkins Hospital for their study on the subject!

Last edited:

Scipio

6000 mg of steroids daily? Is that a typo? Which steroids were you taking?

For corticosteroids such as prednisone that are used to treat Crohn's, a dose of 60 mg/day would be a pretty stiff dose. Taking 100 times that much would be an off-the-charts overdose.

Balsalazide Disodium Caps 750mg 3-3 times a day and I was taking two other pills but cannot remember what they were 2 just in the A.M., Prescribed by John's Hopkins, they told me they were steroid class drugs! 9x750mg=6750 mg a day! Plus I had a kidney transplant 18 years ago, at the time I was also taking 1 gram (4-500mgs) of Cellcept for anti-rejection a day plus 3mgs of Prograf a day! Recently I discovered that Medical Marijuana has a compound in it that lowers your immune system like Cellcept does for anti-rejection may just be able to lower or eliminate the Cellcept too! Kidney transplants usually last about 8 to 10 years and I am on year 18, I believe if it weren't for me consuming cannabis for 50 years I wouldn't be here today!!

Last edited:

Scipio

Okay, that makes more sense. Balsalazide Disodium is not a steroid. It is a 5-aminosalicyclic-acid derivative, which puts it in the same class of drugs as aspirin. Cellcept is also not a steroid, but it is an immunosuppressant - used as you say to prevent transplant rejection. Prograf is also not a steroid. It's a calceineurin inhibitor and is also used to prevent transplant rejection.

Perhaps your docs used the term "steroid-class" as a sort of catch-all term for immunosuppressants even though few or none of the drugs you were taking were actual steroids.

In any case, good luck and continued success with your transplant and Crohn's.

End of Discussion? Worried more about correct classification of drugs than actually healing yourselves? Sure thankful I have an open mind! I see this is a waste of time! How sad!

Scipio

I certainly have an open mind in the sense that I'm always looking for new ways to improve the treatment and perhaps even cure Crohn's disease. But Crohn's is a serious disease, so before I'm going to try something new on myself I prefer that it be proven to be safe and effective by real science.

Right now cannabis and its various forms and extracts is enjoying a huge boom, especially online. It's being touted as a miracle treatment for a whole host of diseases - many of them unrelated to the others - cancer, IBD, multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, epilepsy - you name it. That makes it sound suspiciously like a modern version of a 19th century snake oil cure-all.

I've got nothing against cannabis as such. I'm perfectly willing to try some cannabis-derived medication after it has been rigorously proven to be safe and effective. In other words after it has been shown by real science to be a real medication and not merely another marketing hype miracle-cure or a glorified placebo effect. But currently the medical cannabis field is very confused. The cure claims are all over the place. So I'm going to wait until it gets sorted out a bit better.

In the mean time I'm genuinely happy that you have found something that works for you. I don't begrudge anyone relief from their Crohn's disease whether I personally embrace their particular treatment or not. So keep going with the study at Johns Hopkins. Perhaps that will be an important part of the research that sorts all this out. I certainly hope so.

Below are rules of thumb that I have found useful to keep in mind to help distinguish real medical science from pseudoscience and quackery. And unfortunately I'd have to say that Rick Simpson Oil (or Phoenix Tears) currently violates several of them.

Rules of Thumb for Distinguishing Real Medical Science from Pseudoscience and Quackery

1.Real science will be backed up by data generated in large, properly-controlled clinical trials. Pseudoscience will be backed up by anecdotes and testimonials. If there is any data at all in pseudoscience it will be from small, poorly-designed studies.

2. Real science will publish its results in peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals. Pseudoscience will often try to sell you a book that they claim will change your life and cure all your problems.

3. Real science will make modest claims accompanied with cautions and limitations. Pseudoscience will loudly make extravagant claims of miracle cures for a whole host of diseases. A true miracle drug might be able to treat two or three different problems – usually related conditions that share a biological pathway or origin. Quack treatments will claim to cure a long list of ailments - say 10 or more often unrelated conditions.

4. In modern times real science is almost always a team effort – developed and validated through years of research by multiple teams of doctors and scientists working at various universities, research institutes, and drug companies. Pseudoscience is often the work of a lone individual or a small group of individuals, who claim special knowledge unavailable to others, and who almost single-handedly developed this secret miracle cure.

5. Pseudoscience will also sometimes explain that its lack of acceptance by the wider medical world due to evil conspiracies to suppress the truth.

There are many studies out there if you look, US Government over classified cannabis as a dangerous drug so it's harder to obtain to study in the US, read studies from England and around the world that are allowed to freely study cannabis! Can't get kickbacks from Big Pharma for medical marijuana. like pushing dangerous drugs on the public. You are awful trusting in the present Medical Society, a business like any other! There are many Professional Medical people on the internet in full support of Cannabis, many testimonials of people being cured of many different afflictions, some there is no effective treatment! Take all the time you want, I know what it has done for me and it was not under control with all the expensive meds they were giving me and for which I couldn't begin to afford. I just Thank God there was an alternative that worked completely and for only $80.00 a month! I know the Truth! I am 66 years old, I've had a Kidney Transplant, had my diseased kidneys removed, they had so many cysts on them (Polycystic kidney disease) one weighed 16 lbs and the other 20 lbs, Had Crohn's disease for 2 years, high blood pressure, Acid reflux for years and I am telling you I still take meds for transplant, but Crohn's in complete remission, no more acid reflux, my blood pressure is normal and I have plenty of energy, feel physically fit, and my weight seems to be under complete control! That's what I know, I used MM with all those drugs when weening off of them and I never noticed any adverse effects! After 18 years since I had the transplant my creatinine level is always around (.87) !!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your success.

Keep doing what your doing as long as it keeps working.

I used a different route but been in remission about six years now.

I will remember your story because a plan B is something I always like to have. I was not able to try hemp oil before because of drug testing by my previous employer. Now I no longer have that concern.

I am not too concerned about what is considered real science simply because at least half of scientific studies are bogus to begin with. Thats a pretty unreliable track record.

What interests me is what will help me personally. I don’t see any other way of finding out other than using the scientific method on any particular treatment I may use. After all I am not likely to fake my own results. I don’t have a financial incentive to sway my results one way or another.

My doctors are one of the biggest proponents of anecdotal evidence. They demonstrate that every time I see them. They ask me how I am doing. They ask me if I have any symptoms. How many bowel movements are you having. A person has many ways of assessing there health personally and the doctors have many tests to help also.

A person needs to be just as skeptical of what passes for real science concerning treatment as the less studied treatment methods. There is misinformation, hype and fraud on both sides of the fence. Always has been, always will be.

Dan