• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's diagnosis gift basket

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
So - after your first ever colonoscopy/diagnosis, shouldn't the docs give you a "welcome to Crohn's disease" gift basket? What should be in it??
I'll start the list-
A squirty water bottle for when you just can't wipe.
Calmoseptine - the best butt cream on earth.
Soft baby butt wipes.
Lidocaine.
Laptop with www.crohnsforum.com listed as first favorite.
A detailed list of everything you should never eat again.
A weekly appointment time slot, should you ever need it.
A list of choices for your next colonoscopy prep drink - YOU choose it, not them.
Directions for spouses/significant others/family members on how to be helpful/understanding.
Public bathroom pass.
Oh - and maybe a plan to put you into remission.

What else can't you live without?

Always brand panty liners
Tuck's medicated wipes
milk of magnesia (for mouth ulcers)
cotton "Granny Panties"...no thongs please!

Shadycat said:
Always brand panty liners
Tuck's medicated wipes
milk of magnesia (for mouth ulcers)
cotton "Granny Panties"...no thongs please!
spoilsport....:depressed:

I have to suggest promethazine, "instant hydration Pills"... and a sign that says...IM FINE! I DON"T NEED HELP IN THE BATHROOM>...Ill be out before the week ends?!!"

I would take out the list of food never to eat again...only because I think diet is something everyone has to figure out for themselves. If I listened to conventional wisdom I'd' never drink milk, but I do and I love it and it doesn't both me. so there. :p

Things I would throw in:
List of wierd things that ARE associated with crohns (such as erythema nodossum) so when you get them, you aren't shocked
The doctors e-mail address (sooooo much easier then the phone for routine questions)
A letter to give to professors and maybe bosses about what crohns is
a book of Poo jokes (so you start getting over your aversion now)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Mrclayto said:
IM FINE! I DON"T NEED HELP IN THE BATHROOM
Haha - who asks if you need help in the bathroom??? What kind of help could anyone possibly give me?!?!??

Kimberlie? One Hershey's kiss a day?? That is punishment!

Shadycat - pantyliners! Of course! Can't believe I forgot those!!

ErinDF - It's a magical gift basket. Personalized list of dietary restrictions, of course. Mine would say no popcorn, beans, onions, or apple cider EVER.
=P

Ah...if its a magic list then it should really be divided into two parts...foods not to eat EVER! And foods you probably shouldn't but will eat anyway because you love them so much but you will regret it later (popcorn would definitely be on my list).

Wait...it should have three parts! The third should be -- foods that you can eat when you are flaring and they won't kill you (for example, mine would say McDonalds double-cheeseburgers...which I realize is really wierd).

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
ErinDF said:
foods that you can eat when you are flaring and they won't kill you (for example, mine would say McDonalds double-cheeseburgers...which I realize is really wierd).
NO WAY!! Whenever I am in a bad flare, the only thing I can think of that will taste good is Wendy's cheeseburgers. Mmmm, ketchupy-pickley...

-gift certificate for clothing when you go +/- 30 lbs
-free massages!!! we need stress relief :)
-a membership in the TP Consumer Club. 1 point per roll. points add up to buy fabulous items or vacations. TPCC UNITE!

every edition of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader.

a bucket (for the times when both ends betray you)

a teddy bear.

soft and comfy that you can hug during the crappy night with no sleep.

mine (pingu) jumps on wifeys head after 1 hour of no sleep, just in case she wants to be awake with me;)

I don't know what should be in it (that's a long debate)....but mine SHOULD have just a had a post it note, and the message "You are so F***ed. Enjoy"

J

jamie2462

I would like to add my Sits bath. Hallelujah for it when I have my fissures/fistulas.