• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's disease and blood clots.

I was recently in the hospital with blood clots. I read today that people with autoimmune diseases are more open to blood clots. Is this true?

cmack

Staff member
I have heard that same thing Ron. I haven't been able to verify it, but it very well could be true. Ask Tuff or Mandy, I believe she has had problems with that as well.

I was recently in the hospital with blood clots. I read today that people with autoimmune diseases are more open to blood clots. Is this true?
Unfortunately, we are 16x's likely to get blood clots. Please Google, 8 Common Complications of Crohn’s Disease. This is a recently published article. I would place the url here, but this forum doesn't allow urls.

I had them in my legs years ago. I started taking Krill Oil, Turmeric & Ginger capsules as they are good for knocking down inflammation and make the blood less viscous. I have never had a problem since.

Dan

my little penguin

Staff member
IBD has been known to predispose sufferers to blood clots (thromboembolism) for some time. Clots in the leg veins have a mortality rate of six per cent, rising to as much as 20 per cent if the embolism is in the lungs. Previous research has suggested that most patients who develop thromboembolism do so when their IBD is 'active', i.e. has flared up and they are three times more likely to have a blood clot than non-sufferers. This has led to the use of anti-clotting drugs as standard care for patients with active IBD who are admitted to hospital.

The new research at Nottingham was undertaken to find out what the blood-clotting risk is to patients with IBD who manage their flare-ups outside the hospital environment, with medical care from primary care sources like their GP. The team used the UK General Practice Research Database from November 1987 to July 2001 to compare patients with IBD with controls without the disease. They concluded that non-hospitalised sufferers with active IBD were 16 times more likely to develop a blood clot than the general population.

From
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100210124803.htm

Bowel disease link to blood clots: New findings
Date:
February 10, 2010
Source:
University of Nottingham
Summary:
People living with inflammatory bowel disease are known to be at high risk of blood clots when admitted to hospital during a flare-up of their disease. But now new research has shown that those who are not admitted to hospital during flare-ups are also at risk.

I had a pulmonary embolism 2-3 years before I was diagnosed...

how are they treating you for the clots? are you on any types of thinners?

I'm on Coumadin (Warfarin) I go once a month to the local pharmacy that has an INR clinic, and have a finger prick and get the test result in a minute. No hassle.

I'm on Coumadin (Warfarin) I go once a month to the local pharmacy that has an INR clinic, and have a finger prick and get the test result in a minute. No hassle.
If the leg pain is not as bad, does that mean the clots are dissolving?

The Eliquis does not dissolve the clot, but keeps new ones from forming. Your body will dissolve the clot(s) over weeks or months on its own. If you have less pain, that is a good sign. My leg swelled to twice the normal size with clots, it was really uncomfortable.