• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns disease and having kids

Hello Everyone,

just wanted to get everyones opinion on, if one with UC OR CD should have kids or not?

Also, is there any IBD medication that can interfere with the pregenency and could have bad effects to the baby?

Also, is it worth it to have kids with IBD?

Thanks

:confused2:
Hello Everyone,

just wanted to get everyones opinion on, if one with UC OR CD should have kids or not?

Also, is there any IBD medication that can interfere with the pregenency and could have bad effects to the baby?

Also, is it worth it to have kids with IBD?

Thanks

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Oza - as with everything, there are a lot of different factors that need to be considered when making the decision to have children.....

Although my pregnancy was unexpected (was on BC, but being in hospital/on meds messed it up!) - I wouldn't trade my daughter for the world!

There are different medications that can interfere with a pregnancy, a check with a doctor is the best way to determine that - and a GI should work closely with the OB/GYN.

Also, some people experience an increase in their health when pregnant (I did) - but can flare when the pregnancy is over (I did too) - others may have issues throughout the pregnancy.....

If you do a search through the threads here and in the TTC forum you should find a lot of good informaiton and anecdotes from members.

It may be of some help to speak to a genetic counsellor. Spina Bifida runs in my family, so before my husband and I decided to, or not to, have kids, our GP referred us for genetic counselling. We left having a better idea of our likelihood of having a child with Spina Bifida, and some things we could do to improve our odds at having a child without it. We have two boys, no Spina Bifida, but one with Crohn's... funny, there's no history of IBD in our family...
All the best to you!

Like the previous posters, I think discussing this with your doctor first is a great place to start.
I have had Crohn's for almost 30 years now and have 3 wonderful sons, but each pregnancy was different in how we dealt with my disease. I had 2 pregnancies with my Crohn's in remission. No meds needed and everything went fairly well, however with my third pregnancy I had a flare up, was losing weight, required some medication and a few hospital visits.
There is no guarantees in how your disease will tolerate pregnancy, but I would never change my decision to have my boys for anything :)

Just wondering, those of you who flared after delivery, how soon afterwards did things start to deteriorate? Was it like a couple of weeks before you started having symptoms, or more like a couple of months?