• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Disease and jobs/unemployment

Hi everyone,

I recently had my first flare up and during it I was diagnosed with Crohn's. At the time I was employed through a temp agency and despite having doctors notes and being very sick during this time and unable to work, my contract was ended. I just found out today that my application for unemployment benefits was also denied as apparently they're allowed to fire you if you're sick?

This whole side of having a chronic disease confuses me and I wanted to know anyone's opinions or information regarding the subject. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to search for a new job as I am lucky enough to have someone to help me out financially while I do, but it is very frustrating.

Any input or stories are appreciated!

Did you miss too many days of work...putting you on bad terms with their attendance policy??? Are you able to contest the denied claim? Can you apply for disability? Maybe talk to a lawyer if you feel you were wrongly fired.

Did you miss too many days of work...putting you on bad terms with their attendance policy??? Are you able to contest the denied claim? Can you apply for disability? Maybe talk to a lawyer if you feel you were wrongly fired.
Because I was a temp employee I technically wasn't allowed any "sick" days or days off without notice, but there was no way I could have helped the situation. I gave doctors notes that stated I was unable to work those days. I'm not so surprised from being let go, I'm more surprised that I didn't get unemployment.

I can contest the claim but it would be a ton of work and if it goes wrong I can get even less unemployment in the future if I need it, so I decided to put that energy into finding a new job instead.

I would also recommend talking with your GI again. If you are missing that many days, it would suggest your disease isn't really under control with your current meds and you may need to tinker with them a little more. Finding the right job is really important though. I found jobs that had irregular schedules for eating as well as late nights really rough on me. Fingers crossed you find a good one soon.

I would also recommend talking with your GI again. If you are missing that many days, it would suggest your disease isn't really under control with your current meds and you may need to tinker with them a little more. Finding the right job is really important though. I found jobs that had irregular schedules for eating as well as late nights really rough on me. Fingers crossed you find a good one soon.
Thanks for the input. That time I missed was during my first flare, and at the time we didn't know what it was, which is why it took so long to get it under control. I've been well for weeks now, thank God.

This is really interesting to me. Im 30 years old and at a sort of crossroads. I work as a Project Manager with the Red Cross and its is a stressful and demanding job. I really feel that if I am going to change career paths now is the time as Im still without serious commitments. I have a law degree and three Masters. ( I pushed myself for the last couple of years, mostly because I needed to prove to myself I was just as capable as anyone else, so yes three masters is crazy and all while working). Anyway, I would love to hear what people with Crohns work at and how they find it works for them.

If I could work 8-11 and 1-6 that would make all the difference to me. Being able to recharge midday allows me to cope much better stresswise.

Any ideas for me? I even willing to retrain. This is a long term thing. I want to live a full life until my 80s at least so what do I need to do?