• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Disease and the military

N

ncgoal

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. I would like to enter the military, but I have crohn's. Not the worst case, but nonetheless I have it. I understand that it is a disqualifying condition for military service. I know that people are often diagnosed after they have entered the military. I would like to know if there is someone who went into the military after being diagnosed for crohn's. If so, please tell me how you did it. Thanks.

B

btcrv

Good luck with that Ncgoal. An old bf of mine was in the army and had terrible eyesight all his life. He got lasic and was able to become a pilot so don't get too discouraged until you find out for sure.

V

Valentina

ncgoal said:
I have crohn's. Not the worst case, but nonetheless I have it.
its great your crohns is under a bit of control right now... maybe they dont allow it because its such an unknown disease. and so different for everyone. it can turn very quickly and severly I suppose, and there is really no way of predicting how it will go for any of us.

that being said though.. I hope you can manage to feel well enough/long enough to convince them to let you give it a try. nothing worse than when this takes things away from our lives and dreams. good luck, and I hope you can live your life the way you would like :)