• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Disease & Hysterectomy (A WARNING)

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease back in 2008, and within about a year and a half, began experiencing extreme pain and Crohn's flare ups with my periods. I had also suspected that I had Uterine fibroids, which was later confirmed in my surgical post-op report. While on a Crohn's website, this woman had posted that she decided to have a hysterectomy to eliminate the monthly Crohn's flare ups that would accompany her periods. Upon reading this, I thought this was the answer to my problems too. So, I decided to also go ahead with having a hysterectomy (removal of my uterus and cervix) at the young age of 33, and I can honestly say that it has been the BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life!!!

Having a hysterectomy did not cure my Crohn's disease, but what it did do was destroy me physically. Due to the removal of my uterus, I now suffer from chronic pain in my hips, back, neck and spine, as the removal of the uterus and its powerful ligaments causes your torso to eventually collapse. The uterus and its ligaments are key to the integrity of the pelvis. The cutting of those ligaments, the pelvis’ support structures, destroys pelvic integrity. As a result, a woman’s figure changes. The hips widen and the torso collapses until the rib cage sits directly on the hip bones. This causes a shortened and thickened midsection, protruding belly, and loss of the curve in the lower back making the derrière appear flat. These changes lead to back, hip, and leg problems, chronic pain, and impaired mobility. I have also lost about 2 inches in height due to my spin compressing. My rib cage is now sitting on my hips, and I no longer have a waist, so my torso is now shorter and much wider, due to these unnatural structural changes.

I also am having to cope with the loss of very important hormones and chemicals that these organs produced. The uterus is a endocrine (hormone producing) organ with important systemic (body wide) effect. I have read that the ovaries alone produce about 13 different chemicals, along with the uterus that helps to regulate everything from blood pressure to our nervous systems. The cervix is also very important and should not be removed either. The mucus the cervix secretes is filled with abundant quantities of chemicals called prostaglandins, chemicals which are known to have multiple effects on the nervous system.

A Mayo Clinic Study has shown that hysterectomy without removal of ovaries increases risk of heart disease. Women who had a hysterectomy before age 35 are at a particularly high risk. Specifically, their risk was 4.6-fold for congestive heart failure and 2.5-fold for coronary artery disease. Hysterectomy impairs the function of the ovaries which are part of the endocrine system. This would logically predispose hysterectomized women to the same increased health risks and accelerated aging of ovary removal (castration). The risks of ovary removal include heart disease, stroke, metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis, hip fracture, lung cancer, colorectal cancer, dementia, Parkinsonism, impaired cognition and memory, mood disorders, sleep disorders, adverse skin and body composition changes, adverse ocular changes including glaucoma, impaired sexual function, more severe hot flushes and urogenital atrophy. These vital hormones and chemicals that are produced by these very important sex organs are NOT deposable. I am now 10 years post op and suffer daily from having this done. As bad as having Crohn's disease can be, this is far worse, and I wish I had done my research first, before consenting to such a life ruining/altering surgery. Please do not make the same mistake that I have.

Last edited:
Thank you for making this post detailing your experiences

Anytime you're dealing with two conditions, and one causes the other to worsen, it's a tough call

My wife dealt with uterine fibroids for years, and I can attest to your experiences of it being a troublesome and painfull situation
She had endometriosis as well, which made things very unmconfortable for weeks at a time ... to put it mildly

We tried all kinds of treatments, up to and including uterine artery embolization

In the end, she had a similar surgery as yours (pretty much the whole package was removed)

The good news is that she is free of the pain, the bad news is she had some of the same problems as you did, post surgery

The best news is that she's got a pretty good handle on things now, although it took about a year to restabilize

Talk to your doctor about hrt, as well as diet, and supplements.

Made all the difference in my wife's case

Thanks again for making your post, and welcome to the forum!

Anytime you're dealing with two conditions, and one causes the other to worsen, it's a tough call

My wife dealt with uterine fibroids for years, and I can attest to your experiences of it being a troublesome and painfull situation
She had endometriosis as well, which made things very unmconfortable for weeks at a time ... to put it mildly

We tried all kinds of treatments, up to and including uterine artery embolization

In the end, she had a similar surgery as yours (pretty much the whole package was removed)

The good news is that she is free of the pain, the bad news is she had some of the same problems as you did, post surgery

The best news is that she's got a pretty good handle on things now, although it took about a year to restabilize

Hello :)

Thank you so much for your kind words. And I appreciate you welcoming me to this forum. I am also very sorry to hear that your wife has suffered from fibroids, and from endometriosis.

One procedure that I have heard of that is used to get rid of fibroids surgically, is something called a myomectomy. What this procedure does, is eliminate the uterine fibroids ONLY, while keeping your uterus intact. This is something that I wish I had looked into as a option years ago. It would have definitely been a better option than having a hysterectomy.

As I had stated in my original post, having these vital sex organs removed has been the biggest mistake of my life, and there is hardly a day that goes by, where I don't wish that I could go back in time, and undo what's been done. I hope that my post educates a lot of the ladies, and men that read it, and help prevent other women from making the same mistake as I did.

Horrific back pain, chronic fatigue, destroyed sex life, emotional emptiness, loss of vitality, destroyed figure, and personality change, are the things that I have greatly suffered from since having this life altering surgery 10 years ago.

I am currently on HRT, and take vitamins/supplements, and am trying to eat as healthy as possible, but all that will NEVER replace what I lost, and what these precious organs did for me. According to Dr. Stanley West, author of 'The Hysterectomy Hoax' and various other medical journals and literature from the past century, hormone replacement does not bring hormone levels back to where they were before surgery. Hormone replacement cannot compensate for the natural hormones that the female organs produce. It is more of just a band aid, as I am now forever altered and changed.

Last edited: