• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Disease?

Hi there. Last Wednesday I spontaneously had an episode of heavy GI bleeding. Never happened before. I'm 38 and have had no history of any symptoms involving abdominal problems. I went to the ER and was hospitalized for two days. Along with blood tests and a CT scan, I had a colonoscopy. While the blood tests and CT scan were normal, the colonoscopy revealed several ulcers in patchy areas throughout my colon. While waiting for the pathology report, I spoke with the GI doc and he said the ulcers appeared (fresh) and likely it was a viral infection because of my lack of chronic symptoms. I have never been more than an occasional user of NSAIDs.

Alas, the pathology results came back that I had Crohn's! A very surprising diagnosis because I literally have had none of the typical symptoms. While I was in the hospital I had slight discomfort above my belly button, but now I feel completely normal and have returned to normal BM's.

Anyone else with Crohn's have similar lack of symptoms? Maybe I have a mild case? Maybe this is only the beginning and it'll get a lot worse? I just dont know. I will follow up with the GI doc in a couple weeks to check my small intestine. Any thoughts or advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Welcome. I am sorry you have this disease. Did the doctor start you on any medicine? Maybe, you can do a food diary and see if there are certain foods that aggravate your guts. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the reply. No medicine until I exhibit symptoms. Sent me home with no dietary restrictions, but I have dialed back on the coffee and alchohol just in case.

Honestly, I'm still in denial and hopeful that it could be something else that caused such an acute episode. It just seems odd that I've never had any other symptoms other than the heavy bleeding event.

Sometimes even though though there are no outward signs, the disease can be causing inward damage. I wish you well.. Keep us updated

There are those that have asymptomatic Crohn's. Although they don't have any symptoms inflammation is still damaging their intestines. This can lead to narrowing from scar tissue, fistulas and surgery. Although I would say you are exhibiting symptoms of Crohn's because you have ulcers, inflammation and heavy bleeding. Make sure you stay on top of this, it easily can become worse. I second Ron's idea of a food diary. Have follow a follow up colonoscopy to make sure the ulcers have healed and not worsened. Otherwise I would suggest finding a medication to keep the inflammation from doing too much damage.

Thank you. Yes, I too came across "asymptomatic crohn's" searching more last night. Hopefully my case will contininue as such. It's so weird though, without any symptoms I don't know if I've had this disease for a week or 10 years. I have been thinking back to any signs that I may have missed. Only thing that I can think of is about 3 years ago I developed chronic mild seborrheic dermititus around my nose and eyebrows. In hindsight, maybe a correlation? Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate it! Hope you folks are doing well...

Hi there. Last Wednesday I spontaneously had an episode of heavy GI bleeding. Never happened before. I'm 38 and have had no history of any symptoms involving abdominal problems. I went to the ER and was hospitalized for two days. Along with blood tests and a CT scan, I had a colonoscopy. While the blood tests and CT scan were normal, the colonoscopy revealed several ulcers in patchy areas throughout my colon. While waiting for the pathology report, I spoke with the GI doc and he said the ulcers appeared (fresh) and likely it was a viral infection because of my lack of chronic symptoms. I have never been more than an occasional user of NSAIDs.

Alas, the pathology results came back that I had Crohn's! A very surprising diagnosis because I literally have had none of the typical symptoms. While I was in the hospital I had slight discomfort above my belly button, but now I feel completely normal and have returned to normal BM's.

Anyone else with Crohn's have similar lack of symptoms? Maybe I have a mild case? Maybe this is only the beginning and it'll get a lot worse? I just dont know. I will follow up with the GI doc in a couple weeks to check my small intestine. Any thoughts or advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I am undiagnosed. I respect all the viewpoints expressed here. Having said that, a gastroenterologist, a professor of a teaching hospital in India, told me that "mild" Crohn's does not require any medication, generally.

I do not claim that what he said is correct, just that he said that.

The million dollar question.... Does mild Crohn's typically contininue as such or is it inevitable that it will worsen?

I asked him that as well. He said that if diagnosed after a certain age, chances are that it would remain mild. He said 'chances", he would not elaborate.

Jim, this is a baffling disease as far as I can understand.

Scipio

There is no one answer to your million dollar question. Some people with mild Crohn's stay mild for many years or decades, more or less forever, with no treatment. But others gradually progress to more severe forms of the disease. And there are also some who stay mild for many years but then suddenly shift gears and quickly progress to severe disease.

The trouble is it's impossible to know in advance which scenario applies to you.

There is no one answer to your million dollar question. Some people with mild Crohn's stay mild for many years or decades, more or less forever, with no treatment. But others gradually progress to more severe forms of the disease. And there are also some who stay mild for many years but then suddenly shift gears and quickly progress to severe disease.

The trouble is it's impossible to know in advance which scenario applies to you.
I think this is a million dollar answer. Great answer.