• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Flare

I have been diagnosed with mild Crohn's. My only real symptoms are some minor abdominal pain and mucus in my stool. I have noticed the mucus in my stool has increased this last week. Since I do not have traditional pain and symptoms would this be indicative of a flare? Any advice on how to get this under control or do I just need to ride it out?

I feel like the worrying may be making it worse and since I feel okay and just see some mucus in my stool should I just chalk it up to something else or maybe it is normal and not worry about it? Sometimes the thoughts for me and worrying about what is going to happen long-term seems more detrimental.

I have been diagnosed with mild Crohn's. My only real symptoms are some minor abdominal pain and mucus in my stool. I have noticed the mucus in my stool has increased this last week. Since I do not have traditional pain and symptoms would this be indicative of a flare? Any advice on how to get this under control or do I just need to ride it out?

I feel like the worrying may be making it worse and since I feel okay and just see some mucus in my stool should I just chalk it up to something else or maybe it is normal and not worry about it? Sometimes the thoughts for me and worrying about what is going to happen long-term seems more detrimental.
I would contact your doctor. From what I've seen here, you can feel better than usual but still have silent symptoms that you can't see or feel. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks. Problem is my gastro schedules so far out and it seems like by the time I get an appointment things always change. Not sure what tests he will even be able to run to determine anything.

Thanks. Problem is my gastro schedules so far out and it seems like by the time I get an appointment things always change. Not sure what tests he will even be able to run to determine anything.
I would call the office and speak to the nurse. My GI's nurse is really good about getting people in sooner if they have emergent symptoms that don't require an ER. I cried on the phone after I got the results of some tests I had and told her I was frustrated. Apparently, I made my case because she scheduled me the next day. Sometimes, all it takes is a squeaky wheel... If you can't get in to see him, at least try to see your GP.

I would call the office and speak to the nurse. My GI's nurse is really good about getting people in sooner if they have emergent symptoms that don't require an ER. I cried on the phone after I got the results of some tests I had and told her I was frustrated. Apparently, I made my case because she scheduled me the next day. Sometimes, all it takes is a squeaky wheel... If you can't get in to see him, at least try to see your GP.
I agree

Agree with PP's above. To add, here are some questions CCFA suggests that might be helpful to have a look at and consider asking the doc:

What can I do to monitor my condition?
How will I know if I’m having a flare up?
How will I know if my Crohn’s is in remission?
Can I prevent flare-ups of Crohn's disease?
Should I modify my diet? If so, how?
If I am prescribed medication, what kind of side effects should I expect?
When should I see a doctor?
What can I do at home to treat my symptoms?

Best of luck to you