• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's helps transgender pot producer avoid jail

nogutsnoglory

Well here is a must read story you don't hear every day! It's really interesting given that marijuana is illegal and normally users/growers don't get much sympathy but there are sympathies for those using it for chronic diseases and in this case to save money for gender reassignment surgery. Even so, this person broke the law.

What do you guys think? I am sympathetic given their physical and mental pain and anguish from having crohn's and being trans. I think it's important the court take that into account because the motive was not criminal it's a unique personal circumstance.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2013/08/14/21045621.html

Thanks for sharing! This really shows the intersections of the issues that trans people face socially, economically, and medically. How would his life be different without the social restrictions he faces? Would he seek an alternative to marijuana for his Crohn's if he had access to trans friendly medical care? Without fear of employment discrimination, or maybe if he didn't need to save the many thousands of dollars for surgery, would he instead have a safer job?

I am especially interested that the judge mentioned the complexity of being transgender and incarcerated! This conversation is so difficult to have in the US, since prison is the only way we know how to deal with things. It's torture for trans people, and it will never match any crime. Just a few weeks ago, someone I know was arrested for defending herself against an attack in San Francisco; her medication was withheld, she was placed in men's holding, and she was threatened with sexual assault. Sadly, she's young and poor and without the ability to fight the system for her abuse.

So from a US perspective on Canada, considering how Canada is lauded sometimes for its publicly funded healthcare and minimal offenses for pot, this is an interesting find!

nogutsnoglory

It is unfortunate that many trans people often end up putting themselves in dangerous situations in order to get by and make a living. I have seen the scary statistics on transgender homelessness and the inability to get hired by employers. When you have no roof over your head, little safety on the streets and no opportunity to pull yourself out of the muck, where does that leave you but often in situations of desperation like drugs and prostitution.

I agree that the prison system and judicial system is horrendous in the U.S. and their treatment of trans people is beyond belief. How can one withhold medically necessary treatment? This isn't elective for trans folks but often a matter of life or death and has been determined so by medical professionals.

Interestingly enough I think things are beginning to change and thats due in part to the success of the gay and lesbian movement and the trans movement sort of being tacked on which gives the community more resources and a louder voice in the fight for justice.

I can't begin to imagine what life must be like for someone who is having difficulty being transgender while also facing a horrible illness like crohn's disease. I hope this forum can help in some way in providing a resource to the small minority of people who are both trans and IBD patients.