• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's is back : Need imput

Hello,

I'm a 50 yr old living in North Carolina.

Discovered I had Crohn's when I was 17 years old that required surgury. I was Crohn's free until I was 35 years old.

In 2010 I had surgury for the disease with a right cemi colectomy.

I have been symton free since 2010 with the help of Humira. Started to have some minor discomfort in December 2012. Minor, 1.2 on the scale of 1 to 10.

It did make me think I should have a colonoscopy since I just turned 50 and I hadn't had one in 4 years.

Results from the Colonoscopy found the Crohn's had return in the part of the intestines that had been operated in 2010. Place where the large and small join together.

Doctor couldn't get scope past the point where the large and small intestine was resectioned during my 2010 operation. Opening was too small.

I'm having a CT this Friday to determine how much of the intestines is affected.

This is where I need your help.

I have had the surgury twice, both times were hard to recover. Hate the thought of another NG tube for a week and more scares. I'm also aware that I only have limited intestines to remove before I'll need to wear a colposcopy bag.

Any suggestions on good surgons/hostipals in North Carolina or the east coast ?

My GI Doc mentioned surgery after the Colonoscopy but wanted to review the CT results.

Any new meds, etc..

Please advise on any suggestions.
Thanks

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. The big key here will be whether your doctor thinks that the stricture (the narrowing of the intestines) is due to active inflammation or scar tissue. If it is active inflammation, then surgery MAY be able to be avoided as medications may be able to reduce that inflammation and thus improve the size of the opening. If the small opening is predominately due to scar tissue, then unfortunately, there are no medications that can remove that scarring, only surgery can.