• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Medical Marijuana + Drugs

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed with CD since 2011. I found out I was Celiac in 2006. I have studied a LOT and I've done pretty well with diet management (SCD) natureopathic, herbal remedies.

I have had trouble with a flare for about the last 3 months though and can't seem to get back to the happy place in my body. I live mostly on broth and little bits of chicken or beef (rarely). If I eat much of anything else my gut hurts bad.

I have been using some medical marijuana wax for anxiety and it does relax my gut a bit. But I am feeling like I have no life, no energy. It's just crazy. I hate to put prescription meds in my body!! But I am so tired of living in pain and fear of pain that I am considering Humira. I am very concerned about the side effects since my body reacts with great sensitivity to drugs :sign0085:

I am looking at all options now. I will see a very good Natureopath in a couple weeks and will go to a regular doc too to have some tests done.

I will be spending lots of time reading here to learn more. Thanks for being here.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Like you, I believe in natural medicine wherever possible. But I also accept that sometimes, it's just not enough. Sometimes modern diseases are just too much, and we have to rely on modern medicine. I am not on any medication to keep my crohn's in remission, and haven't been for almost 2 years, remission for a year.

If I were in your position, I would do my best to exhaust all natural options to the best of my ability. But if things just became too much, the pain, the exhaustion, etc, then I'd give the modern treatment a try. Yes, they can come with some scary side effects. But what have you got to lose? It's a quality of life issue, really. If the modern medicine can help you have a better quality of life for some number of years, though you risk having some bad side effects, it's better than continuing on a path of natural medicine that just isn't working for you and having a poor quality of life. I hope that makes sense.

Also keep in mind, once you're on a medication, if you achieve remission, you can try tapering off and going back to natural means of maintaining remission. Modern doctors may frown on this, but it's an option- everything is up to you. I hope you get to feeling better soon, whatever your choices may be.

-Autumn

Autumn,

Thank you for your kind reply. I agree totally. It comes to the point that if I have to live this way for many more years, what's the point?

I look forward to having energy again and not worrying every time I want to eat.

I'm glad you are in remission! May you have a long, happy and healthy life.

Best,
Mel

don't forget about fecal transplants!! its kind of an impractical option but very promising, but you should be aware of this . See link below this post.

wow, I've heard of this but never looked into it. sounds weird lol but whatever it takes!!! I am a 63 yr old woman with a 30 something mind/spirit but my body feels 80. I am so ready to be well.

Thank you Wild Bill

I have had minor symptoms that came and went for most of my life ( initially diagnosed as IBS) but I had my first major flair up back in march of 2010. I could not work or leave my home for a year and a half, was running to the bathroom 20 times a day, blood, mucus etc, etc, etc... and even though crohn's, ulcerative colitis, and colon cancer run in my family I did not get a diagnosis until last week. Under those circumstances, I had no choice but to educate myself about the possibilities of my illness and try natural remedies. I began using medical marijuana after 1 1/2 years of being homebound, unable to work, and sleeping on the floor next to the bathroom. I also changed my diet. only all natural, home-cooked meals from now on. I definitely notice a huge difference when I stray from the diet, but it does not necessarily cause a full blown flairup. As far as the medical marijuana however... the very first night I tried it, I slept through the night and woke up in a panic, thinking I must have pooped all over myself... but I didn't. I went and had a bowl movement, and very little blood or mucus, which was shocking considering how much I had been passing. I ran to the bathroom about 4-5 times that day, not the usual 20... and it wasn't watery. In a couple of days I actually went out for a walk and to the store without fear of embarrassing accidents. The bloat was mostly gone too, and very little pain compared to before. After a couple of months all the symptoms were gone except gassiness, but I could definitely live with that! After about a year I tried to quit using the medical marijuana because it is too expensive, but within one month I was back to a full blown flair up and once again home-bound.. I started using it again and within days, I was better and able to go to work, go shopping, play with my son in the park. or anything I wanted to. I have had to go without the marijuana on 2-3 more occasions since, like holidays when money is short, and every time, I've ended up in a full blown flair up that would typically occur about a month after I discontinued its use.

I am not going to lie... I use it all the time now, but it is definitely not a "cure" like some claim, It does keep the inflammation down and suppress the immune system a bit thus helping reduce flair ups, but just like with any other med there are good days and there are bad days... that's just the nature of crohn's. I choose to use it and to remain med-free as much as possible, because I do not tolerate any meds well at all, not even over the counter stuff and I am concerned about the long term effects of these mad-made meds on other organs like the liver and kidneys, and the increased risk of cancer from them... just for the record, I don't inhale... I ingest :)