• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's newbie!

Hello! My name is Kennedy, I am 18. I have been having really bad pains in my stomach for 6 years. It feels like I am being stabbed. Once puberty hit, I started having allergic reactions. My eyes would swell every now and then at first, but then I actually had to go to the hospital when my ears and face blew up and I got hives all over. When I went in for the regular follow up after my first reaction, we asked about my stomach pains. They thought it might be from my allergies, so we did the patch testing, the "prick" test in the back, and a ton of blood tests. Even after finding all of my allergies, and carrying my epipen every where I go, I still had that stabbing pain in my stomach. We tested my blood four times for celiac disease and one came up inconclusive. Four years later, I became extremely fatigued, gained weight and very malnourished. I would have diarrhea alllll day, so I avoided eating most of the time. I started having the stomach pains so often that I would have my parents pick me up from school right after lunch, or I just wouldn't attend. At that point, we put me into online school. I became even more fatigued and pale that I couldn't move from the couch or pick up a spoon. Eventually, I started fainting. Then I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and severe anemia. If there wasn't a blood shortage, I would have gotten a blood transfusion. I had lost half of my entire blood volume! Still, I was having those darn stomach pains! So now here we are, a year after my hypothyroidism diagnosis, treated and not anemic, and I finally have found a GI doctor.She was baffled at my previous anemia because nothing added up to losing that much blood. At first, she thought I had celiac disease, but then she performed and upper gi, lower gi and a colonoscopy and found that I have all of the symptoms of crohn's disease, as well as my bowels indicating it to be so. I have to do a CT scan on thursday, and then I have my official diagnosis next Tuesday, march 31st. My dad has IBS, but that is the most history of IBD. My family on both sides have a history of addiction to pain meds and steroids, so we are avoiding those as much as we can. We are looking into medical marijuana for most of the treatment, since steroids are mandatory.

Instead of steroids, you may be able to do EEN. My son is also 18 and he has done EEN a few times now. That's where you only drink a specific liquid for 6 to 8 weeks. No food. My son drank one called Peptamen. It tastes terrible, but it doesn't have the negative side effects of steroids and it has a good chance of putting people into remission, as it did for my son.