• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns now not colitis!!!

Ok just got back from my Doc apt , they say 90% chance its crohns now not colitis as they thought for the last 8 yrs. So i start Imuran tomorrow and then I will be going on Remicade as of next week . Every 2 wks for the first 6 wks then twice a mth then down to every 8 wks. My questions are plentiful. Dont even know where to start . I know i dont want to go on Remicade but also know i have little choice of getting better so here i go. I want any info from people who are on these drugs to please give me your experiences . I understand every situation is different but i want to hear from you please. Good and bad. Thanks Lynn

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Check out the subforums on both meds here's Imuran etc: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

I take 6MP and haven't had any problems with it. No side effects. The only thing that I've noticed is that getting over colds etc. takes longer than the average person because it weakens your immune system but that happened to me before I even started the drug 15 years ago.

You do have to get regular blood work done (around once a month). A minor inconvenience really.

thank you Crabby, I appreciate the info. I just started the Imuran today and will be on it long term. Remicade next. Yes those blood checks are inconvient but necessary. Glad you are in remission and for so long too. Good on ya. Stay healthy.

Hello Cecilia,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is hard enough, symptom wise, and then to add the shock and confusion of having CD and not UC is tough.

I also spent 8 years as a "UC" gal. I actually had a proctocolectomy and a j-pouch. The j-pouch was always problematic, but last January I started to develop fistulae, which changed my diagnosis to CD.

I was very much in shock and confusion. I was also angry. My GI did say that a person with UC can also develop CD, so it wasn't necessarily erroneous all those 8 years.

I was on Remicade for my UC (before the surgery) and then started again in February. It was never super effective for me (after the first 6 months eight years ago) and it wasn't this time either. Hopefully you find it helpful though. I switched to Humira 6 weeks ago, and I will tell you that it has given me my life back.

Imuran is usually given (or 6MP) with the biologics. I found that by the time I had progressed to using biologics, Imuran wasn't worth taking as it gave me some yucky side effects. I felt nauseous, run down and sick. But that is just how my body reacted.

I wish you luck with the Remicade, and if you do not feel it is effective, do not let the doctors insist that you stick with it after maybe 6 months. You can always advance to Humira, which I find much easier and having less side effects.

Good luck.
~Tammy

Thankyou TammyKathleen , I will keep that in mind. My sons Girlfriend had good success on it and she is now on Humira which she says is working great for her at this point. Its sad shes only 23 and my son inlaw has a j pouch also. had it for many yrs not many problems for him. It seems to be in the family everywhere.Me well im much older at 50. I assume that biologics are the Remicade?. Its funny because last summer after they did emerg surgery to remove my colon ,i ended up with a ostomy bag and was told my illness is now gone, well quite the surprise when they reconnected me in Feb and not two mths later here i am full of the disease again with little else to do but take the meds. I just hope i dont get too many after effects from this stuff. I am apprehensive but have no choice but to truck on through. I hope you have much success and lots of health.