• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's... relativize, be positive

Diagnosed Crohn's after fistula removal in 1988. 5 or 6 spikes needing cortisone since then but otherwise on 2 grams of Pentasa a day (have tried other molecules but my body's best so far with Pentasa). Visit my GE every 6 months, coloscopy and MRI every 2 years or so but everything has been quiet and cortisone-free for over 10 years now, no flare-ups !

My GE says "keep doing whatever you're doing". My recipe for my life is
1. STRESS AVOIDANCE, 2. ACCEPTANCE of Crohn's, 3. LACTOSE AVOIDANCE and 4. RELATIVIZING (putting my life into perspective).

Yes, I sometimes have minor spikes in spring and fall which don't need cortisone and my GE is happy for me to sensibly increase my Pentasa myself - he know's that if I have a major spike I'll go and see him.

1. I quit being a stressed consultant about 13 years ago and now earn a lot less working from home but hey, no more stressful commuting and more free time.
2. I accept the disease. It means I have to have regular blood work and the usual exams from top to bot :ylol: but if I thought I was "healthy" I surely wouldn't ! Happy to be "obliged" to keep tabs on my health. Crohn's is part of me...
3. I stopped milk about 10 years ago - couldn't stand the taste any more, so I listened to what my body was telling me.
4. I relatavize. There are so many people who suffer things 10 times worse than Crohn's. My GE is my partner, sometimes I'm not of the same opinion and we discuss. I'm an active patient and I'm HAPPY with my life!!!

In short, the won't cure my Crohn's, but I have been able to reduce my symptoms. Always keeping myself informed, I'm going to try reducing gluten as well. Will I need surgery again? Maybe, but that's not stopping my life right now, what if I fall under a bus tomorrow?

Glad to have found this forum, we're all in this together... Chris