• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns Symptom Help

Does anyone else have issues with extreme constipation? I have Crohns but don't suffer from the same -run to the bathroom asap- issues most others do. Instead I am used to being "backed up" for 3-5 days. This is my normal issue..not just during a flare up.

Yep. I go back and forth between urgent and what I would call 'loose' BMs (but not really diarrhea ) to several days in a row of constipation. This has been going on for months.

I use Colace regularly to help a bit, per my GIs advice.

Others have posted something similar.

So while this is apparently a bit unusual, you're not alone!

valleysangel92

Staff member
For a long time I suffered from constipation rather than D. It is a lot more common than doctors admit. If you want to take something to help then use a gentle stool softener rather than a harsh stimulating laxative as these can be really hard on your system and really cramp you up.

Thats strange, ive just posted the same thing. Ive also stated that the way im feeling, id rather have chronic diarrhea than constipation. I feel like im 9 months pregnant and im unable to go to the toilet for days, the longest being about 10 days. I still get the urge to go to the toilet and get drops of blood through all the straining. This happens to me several times a year and its horrendous. My consultant said to me.. "would you rather be doing the toilet 10 times a day instead?" and i said YES i would, because this constipation is killing me.

Thats strange, ive just posted the same thing. Ive also stated that the way im feeling, id rather have chronic diarrhea than constipation. I feel like im 9 months pregnant and im unable to go to the toilet for days, the longest being about 10 days. I still get the urge to go to the toilet and get drops of blood through all the straining. This happens to me several times a year and its horrendous. My consultant said to me.. "would you rather be doing the toilet 10 times a day instead?" and i said YES i would, because this constipation is killing me.
You probably need some help better managing the constipation. Comparing the two, while the pain can be rough, when I'm on the 'constantly going' side of the equation, it's much worse than the 'feeling blocked and bloated side.' :)

At least, that's the way it is for me. Your mileage of course may vary!

You probably need some help better managing the constipation. Comparing the two, while the pain can be rough, when I'm on the 'constantly going' side of the equation, it's much worse than the 'feeling blocked and bloated side.' :)

At least, that's the way it is for me. Your mileage of course may vary!
Hi there
Ive had the chronic diarrhea before and trust me, id rather have that than spending an hour in the toilet with spasms and blood and the bowels refusing to move. Im still running to the toilet every 10 mins but with nothing coming out apart from blood.
Give me diarrhea any day.
Infact ive just drank a cup of strong coffee to give me diarrhea.
bring on the runs haha

valleysangel92

Staff member
Your doctor should be at least offering you something to help with your symptoms. Whether its constipation or D it isn't normal and it shouldn't be ignored like that... its a sign something is wrong and needs to be looked at. My GI actually worried more about constipation because it was a possible sign of strictures or blockages. If your doctor isn't taking you seriously then find another one that will.

I take Immodium for the "D" and then suffer from constipation, I take fiber, which does not really firm up the loose stool or help with the constipation, but I keep trying hoping that it will try to level out the bumps. Maybe it is a matter of quantity of fiber?

I am with you on this! I was recently diagnosed and being constipated is a rare thing for me, normally I have go about 5 times a day or around there. For the past two weeks I go maybe twice a day and I'm so constipated that it kills then I go. I tried prodieum which helped a bit. My aunt told me( as my cousin my age has had Crohn's for almost 10 years) that rice and bananas back you up, and could be low on fibre. Unfortunately raw veggies could help but isnt a friend of Crohn's, maybe have more wheat in your diet if youre okay with digesting it and have more cooked veggies.

Hi there
Ive had the chronic diarrhea before and trust me, id rather have that than spending an hour in the toilet with spasms and blood and the bowels refusing to move. Im still running to the toilet every 10 mins but with nothing coming out apart from blood.
Give me diarrhea any day.
Infact ive just drank a cup of strong coffee to give me diarrhea.
bring on the runs haha
A few months ago I had the same thing! I would go to the bathroom thinking I have to go and Id just pass gas and I'd bleed. Unfortunately before I was recently diagnosed that was normal for me.

Its almost a normal thing for me..cooked carrots seem to help out BUT The only thing that makes me concerned are all the bunnies that are starting to follow me around....