• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's "Take Steps" walk - help

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Crohn's "Take Steps" walk

***EDIT***
This thread was from last year - but it is the same walk.
(I don't need help with the email anymore, obviously..)
This year's post starts at #43.
GO 2010 FUNDRAISERS!

I am walking in my local CCFA fundraiser, but I need help with my email.
I'll be sending this to friends/family and coworkers, but it sounds kinda dorky.
I do want it to sound serious, but not overly grim. I don't want people to think "Oh, it's just a little bellyache."
Any tips??

Friends and Family,

On June 13th, my family I will be walking in the Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America’s (CFFA) “Take Steps” fundraiser. I have Crohn’s disease and there is no cure.
I have been on Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Prednisone, Humira, Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, Librax, Cortifoam, and Mesalamine suspension. These meds have either stopped working or are not for long term use.

People with Crohn’s disease have varying symptoms ranging from debilitating intestinal pain, diarrhea, fistulas, malnutrition, bleeding, exhaustion, vomiting, and much more. Symptoms are different for each Crohn’s patient, which is why it is so hard to diagnose and even harder to treat. Crohn’s patients often need multiple surgeries and hospital stays.

I am close to remission right now and taking Remicade, Imuran and Pentasa. If Remicade fails me, I only have a few choices left that may or may not work. I am hoping that research will find new medications/therapies by the time Remicade stops working for me. But the most important reason for me to see advances in Crohn’s research is for my children because Crohn’s disease can be genetic.

If you would like to sponsor me, the link is____________ or I can take cash donations to the event.

Thanks,

MBH

I also need a team name. I have been trying to think of one for 2 weeks, and I haven't even registered yet cuz I still don't have a team name. My goal is to sign up by tonight, or I will never do it.
So far I have-
Team (last name)
Team Toliet Lovers
Party in the Potty
Any votes or other suggestions?

Last edited:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Duh - I couldn't wait anymore, so I just registered and picked the team name Party in the Potty.

I still haven't sent the email to friends/family yet, so suggestions are still welcome.
Thanks!

Last edited:

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
hah thats the name i was gonna vote for! i really like it! i wish there was one of thoes walks around here i would totally do it! good luck with yours youll have to tell me how it went!^-^

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Proud of you, MBH. Great letter and here are my edits :) (ex-editor so can't help myself when it comes to editing).

How about Team Shits and Giggles? LOL. I like Team Toilet.

Friends and Family,

On June 13th, my family and I will be walking in the Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America’s (CCFA) “Take Steps” fundraiser. I seek your generous support for this worthy and, for me, personal cause.

In __, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. Because Crohn's disease affects the digestive tract, simple things like eating and drinking can trigger symptoms that require intense medical and surgical treatment. Patients who have Crohn’s disease suffer from abdominal pain, diarrhea, malnutrition, bleeding, exhaustion, vomiting, and much more. The wide variety of symptoms make the disease hard to diagnose and even harder to treat. Over their lifetimes, Crohn’s patients often need multiple surgeries and hospital stays. To date, there is no cure for Crohn's disease.

Fortunately for me, I am close to having my disease under control. I'm taking three different drugs (Remicade, Imuran and Pentasa) which seem to be doing the trick in easing my symptoms. However, I've taken many other types of medication (Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Prednisone, Humira, Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, Librax, Cortifoam, and Mesalamine suspension) that have stopped working or are not for long term use. If my current meds stop working, I only have a few choices left.

I am hoping that research will find new medications/therapies if Remicade stops working for me. But the most important reason for me to see advances in Crohn’s research is for my children: Crohn's disease can be genetic.

If you would like to sponsor me, the link is____________ or I can take cash donations to the event.

Thanks,

MBH

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Thanks guys, and Fen - thanks for the help. You did catch one omitted word too that I didn't see.

Spoon Ninja, there is a walk on the riverfront in Detroit. I mapquested from your town to Detroit and it said 2 hours, but I don't know exactly where you are. Yours will probably be a HUGE event since it's the only one in Michigan. Might be worth the drive. (As the forum's official stalker, I figured it was my duty to find that out for you. =} )

I spent over an hour trying to figure out what shirt to buy. I got my daughter a little pink T that says "Everybody poops" on it. I got one that says "DUDE!! Where's the bathroom?" but... then I wanted the "I occasionally crap my pants" one, so I got that too. Quiet Kimberlie... we all know I didn't need two shirts, I have no self control. right Drew?
I also wanted "I never run out of gas", "I hate my guts", "I pooped today" with someone making the 'Yay!' sign, "This is how I roll..." with toilet paper on it, and "I heart poop" Too many decisions...

Last edited:
Okay, you SO have to get the, "This is how I roll" with a toilet paper roll, bwahaha! I am literally laughing out loud. Do it! Do it! Do it!

These are all great suggestions. I wish I had constulated you guys before I did my walk. It was last night, by the way, and it was a huge success. My team was "The Turtles" and we raised $1450. I was stunned at the level of support I got from friends, family and co-workers. Our good friends own a screen-printing business and they even printed up team shirts for us. I'll post a picture once I download them.

Good luck, MBH. I hope you and the "Party in the Potty"-great name-raise a ton of cash and have a blast doing it!

My Butt Hurts said:
I am walking in my local CCFA fundraiser, but I need help with my email.
I'll be sending this to friends/family and coworkers, but it sounds kinda dorky.
I do want it to sound serious, but not overly grim. I don't want people to think "Oh, it's just a little bellyache."
Any tips??

Friends and Family,

On June 13th, my family I will be walking in the Crohn’s Colitis Foundation of America’s (CFFA) “Take Steps” fundraiser. I have Crohn’s disease and there is no cure.
I have been on Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Prednisone, Humira, Metronidazole, Ciprofloxacin, Librax, Cortifoam, and Mesalamine suspension. These meds have either stopped working or are not for long term use.

People with Crohn’s disease have varying symptoms ranging from debilitating intestinal pain, diarrhea, fistulas, malnutrition, bleeding, exhaustion, vomiting, and much more. Symptoms are different for each Crohn’s patient, which is why it is so hard to diagnose and even harder to treat. Crohn’s patients often need multiple surgeries and hospital stays.

I am close to remission right now and taking Remicade, Imuran and Pentasa. If Remicade fails me, I only have a few choices left that may or may not work. I am hoping that research will find new medications/therapies by the time Remicade stops working for me. But the most important reason for me to see advances in Crohn’s research is for my children because Crohn’s disease can be genetic.

Thanks,

MBH

I also need a team name. I have been trying to think of one for 2 weeks, and I haven't even registered yet cuz I still don't have a team name. My goal is to sign up by tonight, or I will never do it.
So far I have-
Team (last name)
Team Toliet Lovers
Party in the Potty
Any votes or other suggestions?

Much shorter ....

Dear Friends -
I'm sick and participating in a walk for the cause. DONATE OR KITTENS AND PUPPIES WILL BURN IN HELL.

Thanks,
Jill.

Hey good luck. I am not in shape to go in the Heel N Wheel but I would love to. If I had a bike I would. I am going to my first CCFC meeting. Kind of nervous but I want to meet other Crohnies. Maybe I can find a little volunteer job to do this year. Then I'll get in shape to do the Heel N Wheel next year. Thanks for the inspiration.

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
thank you for finding that for me i will have to check it out and i will have to try and find out when it is and stuff also could you post the link? thanx!!!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Well Fromthegut - Kimberlie actually inspired me to do it, so I'm glad it passed to you too!

Yay Shadycat! Good for you for doing the walk, and all that you raised!

Drew - well, I just wanted to say your name.. that's all =P

Fen- http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/crohns
I like the http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/poop ones better, cuz I am sillier.
But just for you... http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/roll
There were 4 toity paper ones that I saw at least - post pics like your wolf shirt of course.

SpoonNinja - www.ccfa.org
Click 'chapters and events' on the left, then type in your state.
Yours is June 27th.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
fenway1971 said:
Ha! Took me a while to figure that one out. Where's Jill come from, Drew? I completely missed this one. . .
Wow. This is gettin' better and better...
How much fun can we have with Fen?

What, Fen - no thanks for the shirt links??
(Is your real name Fenway???)
sarcasm

fenway1971 said:
Ha! Took me a while to figure that one out. Where's Jill come from, Drew? I completely missed this one. . .
whaa?
what happened here?
im so confused fen, i didnt understand ANY of your posts! "wheres jill come from?"
fen, did no one ever have "the talk" with you? ok, well when a mommy and daddy love each other very much....
HAH no but seriously, what?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
kello82 said:
whaa?
what happened here?
im so confused fen, i didnt understand ANY of your posts! "wheres jill come from?"
fen, did no one ever have "the talk" with you? ok, well when a mommy and daddy love each other very much....
HAH no but seriously, what?
Uh, yeah Fen - give us the whole rundown on the entire thought process of ALL your posts here. Curious minds want to know.

But back to the actual thread - my goal was $125, and I raised over $400 in 24 hours, so I raised my goal to $1,000.
Yippee!!!
I had 4 reply emails from work in less than 2 hours.
My mom and a friend forwarded it to people, and 5 people donated or replied that they were going to donate.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
My Butt Hurts said:
Uh, yeah Fen - give us the whole rundown on the entire thought process of ALL your posts here. Curious minds want to know.
I'm just going to let my doofusness continue to puzzle you all.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
kimberlie said:
Show off!
Oh yeah?? How do you like my new total?? $705!!!!
(brat)

Fenway - I must say Kell and I are quite disappointed with that answer. We want the truth behind the mystery.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Maybe if didn't call people "show off", you'd have more friends!
(you know I'm kidding)
Now I have to raise $10,000 cuz the prize is a 16 gig ipod, hahahaaaa.

WOO HOOOO!!! Top of page!!! Oh...

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
mbh...i'm nicknaming you princess sassafrass...what do y'all think?

so long version of my weird emails is as follows:
quickly read drew's email and thought he signed it "jill"...and then your email further confused me because ... well this is awkward ... i thought maybe you had given him the nickname jill. (yes, i know, i'm retarded. sorry drew.) so there you have it. i'd like to blame my headaches but the reality is i'm very easy to pick on.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Raised $870 as of today. One week to go.

Got my shirts in the mail yesterday!! I'm having a hard time picking which one to wear. One fits better, but the other one I like the saying better.
I'll post pics afterwards for sure.

LOL@Fen. That was FUN!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Thanks GoJohnnyGO for sponsoring me!
And thanks Kimberlie too!

Kim sponsored me for $12.69. I am sure there is a joke somewhere, but I don't know what it is.
Fill me in, Kimmie!

New total - $882.69

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Haha - you WOULD 1 up me, brat! And thanks for the naughty 69 cents! That just makes me look even cooler. :ycool:
My parents dog charged 5 bucks today, apparently he has a credit card? His message was "woof!"

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
They have a similar event in Canada called the Heel 'n' Wheelathon (you can walk or ride a bike). My team (okay, just me) is called "Rollin' For Colons."

i was just thinking about this....are there a ton of porta pottys all along the walk route?
probably a lot of people wouldnt be able to do it unless there was immediate access to the potty. i wouldnt

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I don't know about the port-o-potties Kell. I didn't go last year specifically for that reason. I had to "go" too often and too quick!
I saw MiniCooper's pics from her walk, and it appeared that they were walking though a city. Mine is at a college, and I just assumed it would be around the campus or something.

New total? $1,055!! WOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!
Thanks for sponsoring me GoJohnnyGo, Kimberlie, Kromom, and Kello!!

huh. thats why i havent done walks before either, for other fundraisers besides CCFA too. crap myself in the middle of the street...no thanks.

welcome, hun :)
thats a HUGE total!!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Why are you hatin' on the 63 cents?
You did 69 cents, Kello evened it up with her 31, so my mom donated in her dead dog's name and made it wonky cuz I like wonky.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Okay - it's official! The walk is over, and my grand total for the CCFA is $1,555.63!!
My chapter raised at least $70,000. The numbers aren't in yet.

It was not as much fun as I had hoped. The speaker was dry and long winded, and my parents took my kids and did 3/4 of the walk without me. Note: There were NO port-o-potties on the 2 1/2 mile walk. And even the "well marked" bathrooms were neither well marked nor close by. Other note: Don't wear flip-flops next year:)

Shirts read left to right as "I have gas", "WARNING: Contains dangerous gasses", "Everybody poops", and DUDE Where's the bathroom?"

My parents with their home made "cure Crohn's disease" visors!

My daughter confirming that everyone does indeed poop.

The shirt I should have worn.
"I ocassionally crap my pants"
Daddy wasn't fond of it =)

Thanks so much you guys for being my rah-rahs! I wanted to raise as much as I could to show off for all of you!

My Butt Hurts said:
Kello evened it up with her 31,
my ocd kicked in and i couldnt resist an even 700.

HAH love the pic of your daughter with the huge pile of poo, thats hilarous.
hahah shes adorable

kickass 1500 bucks! man i did relay for life once and 100 was my measly total.
great job :D

I am doing the Cleveland walk on June 19th!! Like you, I am so excited about it! I just started collecting donations last friday night and have been AMAZED by the generosity of people....some of whom I have not seen in over 14 years. This whole experience...being diagnosed, signing up for the walk, and getting donations/letters of support has truly humbled me. Good luck with your walk!!! My team is team POO-BEAR! I made "team visors" today for everyone walking with me......if i can figure out how to post the pics I will....super cute!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Crohn's Walk is over!!!

YAY!!!
With help from family friends and co-workers, I raised $1,165.69 for the CCFA!!!!!
I read somewhere that 80% of the money raised goes directly to research.
My local chapter raised $77,195.98.

They were STILL lacking port-o-potties on the 3 mile walk. There wasn't one the whole way, and several people mentioned that they suggested the need for them last year.

Shirts read "I ocassionally crap my pants", "Everybody poops", "I have gas!", and "Warning: COntains dangerous gasses".

You guys are great! I am training to walk a half marathon for CCFA on July 18. Yesterday we did 10 miles! Who woulda thunk it?? I was a couch potato so recently! We have a spirit cape that gets passed to someone each week and they add a decoration. I used puff paint to add: "Walking for the CURE so no more running for the bathroom!" I've raised $2,754 so far. Wish me luck!

Lilly