• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns the Invisible Illness: My Story

Hello everyone! My name is Sabrina. I am 25 Years old and was diagnosed with Crohns Disease in 2009. This is my story.
I visited Hilton Head South Carolina to get married in 2009. All seemed fine until our drive home. I began getting a pain I would say was as intense as labor. After having 4 kids I could easily handle most pain but this wouldn't budge. After three days of none stop vomiting, diarrhea, and pain I finally decided it was time to get the hospital.
When I finally arrived to my local ER I thought thank god they will find out whats wrong and I will be fine soon. Boy I have never been so wrong in my life. In a world that abuses pain medication it is sometimes hard to get doctors to understand what they cant always see. Anyways I spent the next 6 weeks with my symptoms getting worse and worse seeing doctor after doctor and spending countless days in and out of the ER I felt like there was no getting past this. I was going to die and I believed this whole heartedly. I had lost over 30 pounds and weighed 68 pounds when a kind doctor finally listened to me and knew I was not well.
I was scared to death and I wanted everything to stop. During this entire 6 weeks I was labeled as a drug addict, an anorexic, and even a hypochondriac. I think that was the worse part of this whole experience because I never did drugs in my life and I would never think of intentionally harming myself for any reason.
After spending 3 days in the hospitals ICU and having a million and one tests done some in which I would not have agreed to if it was not for the fact I was fighting for my life. I finally had a diagnoses in hand. I had Crohns disease and it was a hard pill to swallow because I knew I would live the rest of my life with this illness.
Today I am doing well. I watch my diet and am on Prednisone, Oxycodone, and Asacol. I am currently pregnant with my last child. We are both doing well and I strive everyday to improve my life.
Help me spread awarenes by visiting my blog at CROHNSTID.blogspot.com :ghug: