• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's without losing weight.

Is anyone else like me. I was first diagnosed in 1996 and I have never experienced weight loss as a result despite long spells of very bad diarrhoea etc. I have confirmed CD in my Colon but have never had any investigations of the upper end. Could the location of the disease be responsible for the effect of losing weight?

Yep, that's me, too. I've actually GAINED 45 pounds this year, while still flaring. So dang frustrating (I was a healthy weight-now I'm overweight). I do believe it's related to the disease location. Nutrients are absorbed in the small intestines, so if that's not affected, it doesn't make you lose weight, IMO.

Me too! I started out overweight when I was diagnosed and still am. I haven't been well enough to start dieting and working out for a long time and its very frustrating.

I hate it when people say "Aren't you a little heavy to have Crohn's?" or "How is that everything runs right through you and you still so big?"