• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's??

I was having bowel problems and had a abdomen cat scan with contrast done. The test results show colon wall thickening of the sigmoid. I asked my doctor if crohn's can be one of the causes to thicken the colon wall and he told me I'm too old to develop it. I'm 62. Is the doctor right. Anyone here that developed it after age 60?

I was 57 when I was diagnosed with Crohn's. My GI told me he has a few patients over the age of 70 that are newly diagnosed. I personally don't think 62 is too old to be diagnosed. I would keep good records of how you feel every day. I have kept a daily journal for the past year that has helped document my symptoms. My GI encouraged this.
Good luck.

Although you,ve been diagnosed at 62 you,ve probably had it for a long time before,when I think about what happened with me I,d had diahorrea for years before it went right of the rails.i was 50 by the way,my gi did say it was unusual as most of his patients were young.good luck

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, louisep!

Your doctor is absolutely 100% wrong. You can develop Crohn's at any age. If I remember correctly, the most common age for diagnosis is 15-30, but there's another spike in older patients, as well. Also, as Axelf said, it's possible that you have had Crohn's (or any other condition) for a while without showing any obvious symptoms.

Did your doctor suggest any other possibilities?