• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CRP question

I picked up all S's bloodwork results in preparation for taking him to see the GI Monday, and found that the results were not as normal as the PED led me to believe. I don't have a good feeling for how far out of normal some of the things are, particularly the CRP. His came in high at 4.7, with reference of below 1 being normal. When L was first being diagnosed and had active inflammation in her bowel and liver, her CRP levels were still only 0.7. But, is 4.7 significantly high? Or is it just kinda/sorta high, or is it just really variable between individual?

His neutrophils are also high (42%, reference range 15-35%). And some other stuff that is just barely out of range, high and low. I'm glad to hand it all over to the GI to look at. But I'm curious right now, too.

Thoughts, anyone?

Maya142

Staff member
It's high. It could be higher, but that's definitely way above normal.

For reference, my daughter's CRP has been between 7-13 for the last couple months. Our range is 0-4 and her rheumatologist and GI were concerned.

Glad his appt. is Monday. Good luck :ghug:.

my little penguin

Staff member
Crp typically is recent inflammation 24-48 hours
Sed rate is longer term like a week
Anycokds or coughs prior to the bloodwork

Very glad you are getting him seen soon
Hope the GI has a good plan

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter always has an elevated CRP but her Sed rate is always within range. Her GI and rheumatologist both say CRP is a better indicator - in fact, they don't test Sed rate at all any more at our hospitals.

I don't remember a specific cold when he had his blood draw, but we've had a kind of continuum of sickness in the family since Thanksgiving, so maybe he had something.

Also, for Neutrophils look at the absolute count, not the %. If absolute neutrophils are below 1000 our doctor expresses some concern. Below 500 she would take immediate action.

GI wants S in hospital for four days starting Thursday to put in feeding tube and determine whether his lack of growth is from inadequate intake or something else (malabsorption or increased caloric demand). She's also doing an upper GI scope, I think to look for EoE, but she didn't exactly say. She wasn't precisely alarmed, but she did say that his admission was urgent.

I wanted someone to take me seriously, but now that they have I'm freaked out.

my little penguin

Staff member
I know it's a hard balance when you want to know but at the same time

So glad they are taking you seriously and getting to the bottom of things by ruling a lot of things out
Plus a tube will give him nutrition he needs

That said
It may still be a long journey

If it's EoE there is an excellent support group through kids with food allergies

Lots of EoE parents as well as Tubie parents there

https://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/forum/gastrointestinal-disorders

I truly hate inpatient though so hoping your stay gets answers for your lo

Maya142

Staff member
Sending hugs!

My daughter started off with an NG tube. She was much older (16 I think) and was very,very against the tube. She was also admitted to start feeds since she was so malnourished.

It turned out to be a lot easier and less intimidating than we thought! She learned how to insert the tube by herself, while drinking water so it went down easily. The first night was the hardest - her nose and throat were sore and she was miserable - but the second day was better and after that, it was easy.

Now she says it's much easier having a tube than drinking formula. She also finally began gaining weight when we put in the tube - she has gained 25 lbs. She now has a more permanent tube, a J tube (since she has Gastroparesis).

I'm assuming, since he is so little, that they'll give him a very small tube. We used a size 6Fr, which is an infant tube. It's really thin - like spaghetti. I would make sure he's getting the smallest size, so he'll be as comfortable as possible.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!