• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crp

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Not Crohn's in particular. It just indicates that you have some sort of acute infection or inflammation occurring in your body. It is one test that may help put the pieces together when being diagnosed.

Once diagnosed it is used to track the progress of your disease and the effectiveness of treatments.

Dusty. :)

So blood and white blood cells in stool along with a high crp would most likely indicate an infection or inflammation in the digestive tract? But not necessarily crohns? Would a stomach ulcer do it?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Used in conjunction with other symptoms, then most likely yes it would indicate a GI tract problem. You would then need to go onto further testing to confirm or eliminate Crohn's as the cause.

An "ordinary" stomach ulcer may well produce the blood in stool result, not sure about the white cells but I don't think it would cause a raised CRP.

Dusty. xxx

My dr told me I have crohns because of these test results. However my colonoscopy 2 months ago was normal. I do have gastro issues but I am just not convinced I actually have it. I have alternating c and d but c domonit. I do have very painful abd cramps mostly when d. I just did not feel as if I fit this disease. Specially with food allergies in my immediate family. I did get tested for this and should have those results soon. Dr appt in 2 was so I will hopefully understand more then.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Unfortunately a colonoscopy will only show the large bowel and just into the small so there is a lot of uncharted territory that Crohn's could be lurking in.

Have you had scans done?

I certainly hope you don't have Crohn's and there is a simpler explanation for your results and symptoms. Good luck with your appointment and let us know how you get on.

Dusty. xxx

No no scans. Maybe that is the next step. I might not be questioning the dx but at the last visit he said he was almost certain my problem was food allergies then a few days later he gets the crp results and tells they call me and tell me I have crohns. Thank you for your help!

That is weird that you have been diagnosed with seemingly no pathological findings. Did your doc do biopsies with the colonoscopy? And those were normal too? Strange indeed, the differences between doctors.

You can have a raised CRP with Crohn's and other inflammatory processes.

I have mod - severe Crohn's as can be seen by my colonoscopy but my CRP is completely normal. I have C more than D. I can't seem to lose any weight.

The Crohn's may just be in the small intestine. Be prepared for Barium x-rays, pill cams etc to enable DR to find lesions.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Crohn's where finding someone with your specific subset of symptoms feels like winning the lottery!

My dr told me I have crohns because of these test results. However my colonoscopy 2 months ago was normal. I do have gastro issues but I am just not convinced I actually have it. I have alternating c and d but c domonit. I do have very painful abd cramps mostly when d. I just did not feel as if I fit this disease. Specially with food allergies in my immediate family. I did get tested for this and should have those results soon. Dr appt in 2 was so I will hopefully understand more then.
Hello

I was told my colonoscopy was normal and then I got a letter asking me to call the endoscopy department to make an outpatients appointment. I had a polyp removed and six biopsies taken and the results had been sent out separately. In a nutshell my large bowel looked good but the biopsies revealed inflammation and I was told by the receptionist that my notes stated I had inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's).

I will just have to wait and see what happens.....

Viv

P.S. My Crp is slightly elevated and I have a high white blood count

Last edited:
I am not sure if they did biopsy with the colonoscopy. I had it done by my old gi dr. And althought I was having a lot of issues at the time, the main reason for the scope was to check for polyps as I had a precancerous polyp 6 years ago. But this dr never id much for me which is why I recently switched. This dr has ordered test and been trying to figure out what is going on. As I read these forums I am reminded of things. Such as when I was about 20 I saw a gi dr as I was having anal fissures and bleeding to the point that it felt I was peeing blood. He told me it was because of constipation and I need to eat more fiber and said it always seems like more blood then it really is. And sent me on my way. It did eventually get better. But then 2 years later is when the d and extreme pain with it came. I have also noticed that everyone is so different with this illness. And there is not right or wrong with it. I do know I want to make sure it is not something else before I would start med as they do not seem like ones you want to take if you don't have too. And do you take meds every day for the rest of your life? Even when you are in remission? And would a ct scan be the best test to get to help determine?

suschex

Suzanne
You can have a raised CRP with Crohn's and other inflammatory processes.

I have mod - severe Crohn's as can be seen by my colonoscopy but my CRP is completely normal. I have C more than D. I can't seem to lose any weight.

The Crohn's may just be in the small intestine. Be prepared for Barium x-rays, pill cams etc to enable DR to find lesions.

Welcome to the weird and wonderful world of Crohn's where finding someone with your specific subset of symptoms feels like winning the lottery!
I am exactly the same...C more than D and normal CRP. My CD is in my entire colon but no other areas. Interesting to find someone with the C more than D and normal CRP as well! Those two things make it a bit more difficult to track w/o going in for a look-see though :( Have you found that to be true for you as well? I am just 4 weeks out from my diagnosis so still learning...