• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CT/MRI scan

I've been pondering this for a few weeks and decided to do a little poll. Is there anyone here who has had either CT or MRI imaging done that came back normal, regardless of having Crohn's?

I've seen quite a posts where people were given CT scans that came back showing thickening, so I'm curious as to who's came back okay.

I've had various X-Rays and CTs. They're pretty much worthless in diagnosing crohn's. All they can do is detect complications of crohn's disease like fistulas and major obstructions, and that requires ingestion of a contrast substance like barium.

I've had several CT scans that came back normal. By the way if you have adhesions they always come back normal too. And when they opened me up I had ropes of adhesions. I kept telling the Dr. something is tied together here and
sure enough when she went in there they were. And then all the nurses that had been taking care of me wanted to see the pictures they took of my insides. I think they half-way believed me before the surgery. But the funny thing about this
was everytime I was hospitalized with the belly pain I was having severe symptoms diarrhea , severe abdominal pain . I must of had the adhesions before but only hurt me when the Crohns acted up. But when you think of it , It makes sense. These adhesions had formed from my abdominal wall to my colon, small
intestine even one time to my ovary, tube and colon. So when the bowel acted up everything that was stuck to it hurt too. But seeing is believing. Have you ever had a exploratory lap.
Bethy

I was going to say, I was pretty much diagnosed through blood tests and a CT Barium scan... the bloodwork indicated problems, the CT Scan indicated thickening of the bowel walls... they did a colonoscopy to confirm my diagnosis the next day.

I've had an CT scan and an MRI scan, the CT scan was back in January and wasn't normal, neither was my bloodwork and so I had a colonoscopy in March and that confirmed Crohn's as I had ulcers just by the opening of the small bowel and extensive inflammation throughout the large bowel.

The CT scan I had was in April when I was readmitted to hospital and they thought I had some sort of stomach mass, but the CT scan said otherwise which was a relief! You can still feel a fullness/mass near my lower right side but it's obviously not something I need to worry about. They didn't so much say the CT scan was normal more that it was all okay.

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
i had mri scan come back normal, thankfully, it was a brain scan.
another scan showed i had a thinning of my spine. and the woman said "for a woman of YOUR age they are acceptable!"
boody cheek.
not had any scan for crohns.
sharon xx

yeah I had a CT following a pill cam that did show issues and absolutely nothing showed up on CT .. which apparently confounded the doctors .. they were surprised that the known area didn't even show up.

I just had a CT scan a couple of weeks ago that came back normal. My GI is still pretty convinced that I have crohns.

nope all my CTs and MRI's have come back showing fistulas, abcess, scar tissue, etc. they pretty much always knew what they were looking for ahead of time though. none of them were suprises.

katiesue1506 said:
I was going to say, I was pretty much diagnosed through blood tests and a CT Barium scan... the bloodwork indicated problems, the CT Scan indicated thickening of the bowel walls... they did a colonoscopy to confirm my diagnosis the next day.

yeah, me too... my blood work was definitely a major indicator, then my ultrasound results said they suspected IBD... and then my colonoscopy was incomplete due to my stricture but my CTScan said there was thickening of my my bowel walls and cysts on my ovaries.

kello82 said:
nope all my CTs and MRI's have come back showing fistulas, abcess, scar tissue, etc. they pretty much always knew what they were looking for ahead of time though. none of them were suprises.
I'm the same.
I've had quite a few MRI scans, but it was always to assess to damage prior to surgery or med changes.