• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

CT shows nothing but I'm so bloated!

Has anyone had symptoms not show up on CT scan? So bloated I can't move without wanting to throw up and yet CT showed nothing! How effective are CTs? Have been diagnosed for 13 years, partial small bowel and colon resection 9 years ago. Had 5 wonderful years of remission but now its back! SUCKS!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi marsham and welcome! I have never had any luck with imaging tests. My CT scans and MRI's have always been normal. Though they aren't fun, if I need testing, I prefer just to go right for a colonoscopy, because it's the most reliable and give the best results.

Thank you. Its so frustrating when your sick and they cant see anything on the ct. Learned years ago not to trust all tests. Had aruptured appendix they didnt diagnose until they did surgery to find oitout what the mass was. Almost didnt make it through that one! Life is good! M

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Marsham, welcome to the forum. My GI explained to me that as far as scans go, CT scan gets a much less detailed image than something like an MRI would get. So it's possible that whatever is causing your bloat wasn't picked up by the CT but may be picked up by another test. Good luck, I have issues with bloating too so I feel for you - it's no fun! I hope you get to the bottom (no pun intended) of it.

I haven't had any luck with CT scans at all. I've had three and they all showed nothing, even though the subsequent colonoscopies showed moderately - severely active Crohn's. The CT scans are expensive but worthless, in my opinion.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome :)

CT's also cause HUGE radiation exposure. It's one of those tests that in my opinion should be used very sparingly.

I hope they're able to get things figured out and you feel much better soon!

*hugs*

I haven't had any luck with CT scans at all. I've had three and they all showed nothing, even though the subsequent colonoscopies showed moderately - severely active Crohn's. The CT scans are expensive but worthless, in my opinion.
I have to agree with this 100%. I had a CT done 2 weeks before a colonoscopy. CT showed absolutely nothing, I was even going to cancel the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy showed ulceration and CD scattered thoughout the colon and entire large intestine. What a waste a CT was. My regular GI didn't order the CT, another doctor ordered it.