• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Curious about meds.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I meet with my GI doc in february. What can I expect to be recommended for meds and why? I'm sorry if I am being vague,it's all new to me.

It really depends on the extent of your disease and the philosophy of your GI. More docs are trying biologics like Humira and Remicade first instead of as a last resort. It could be prednisone in combination with something like imuran or 6mp or methotrexate or some of the 5ASA drugs.

When were you diagnosed? Do you know where your disease is? Abscesses? Fistulas?

dave13

Forum Monitor
I was diagnosed 11-29-13. I had about six inches of my small intestine resected and am told I am in remission right now.

You might get more replies if you post in the treatment section: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 There are also threads on the various meds there that are commonly used for Crohn's.

When you see your GI remember it's fine to ask questions. If he/she recommends a particular med for you, you can ask why and what side effects you can expect. Some of the meds for Crohn's do come with quite severe risks and side effects. If you're not happy with what your doctor recommends, you can ask to try something else or ask for a second opinion from another doctor. And if you try a med and find the side effects problematic, you can ask your doctor if there are ways to manage the side effects or if you can switch to something else. So the key thing with meds is to make sure you have a doctor who you can contact, who answers your questions and preferably who will see you at fairly short notice if things don't go as planned.

I was diagnosed 11-29-13. I had about six inches of my small intestine resected and am told I am in remission right now.
I have more or less the same problem with you.I was diagnoses 6 months before with CD and i followed therapy with Budenoside (3 months - 3 pills per day) and AZA (3 pills per day) plus Therapeutical Masticha of Chios (i receive it in pills and i buy it in Greece, there is an issue here that mastiha has very good results to Crohn patients with medium to low crohns problem)
The results are very good since i have no problems any more or some of them are minor and no important to report (mainly cause some times i eat smth out of my normal diet but ok i am a man not a robot as my doctor says).
Discuss it with your doc i do not think it is reasonable to go directly to Humira and Remicade.These drugs are strong and in your case (as mine) you have the right to try something more light.